Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Flashback and Foodie Friday ~Chicken Tortilla Soup and a Fall Farmer's Market Day


Earlier this week I was in a soup mood. That's what happens when the days and nights get cooler. Back home in Louisiana we call it gumbo weather :-) I made a tried and true one that I love called Chicken Tortilla Soup - so this is my flashback to many other cool fall nights! Mostly opening cans, but it still is homemade in my opinion! No fancy picture...just the bag I put in the freezer for an even quicker meal on another night.


Chicken Tortilla Soup
From Meals on the Move, Rush Hour Recipes by Holly Clegg -she has some of the best "lighter" recipe books around.

1 onion, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic (I use more like a tablespoon)
4 cups chicken broth
1 24 oz can tomatoes, diced
1 12 oz can tomato puree (I use tomato sauce and some of the roasted tomatoes I did this weekend)
1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into chunks
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 16 oz bag frozen corn (I used 1 drained and 1 undrained cans of corn)

Condiments:
Tortilla chips, crushed (Holly suggests you bake your own for lightness)
Shredded cheese - I used a preshredded mexiblend
Sliced green onions
Avocado sliced
Sour cream

Saute onions and garlic in a little olive oil or a pot coated in non stick spray until tender. Add broth, tomatoes, tomato puree, chicken, chili powder, cumin, and lime juice and bring mixture to a boil. Lower heat and cook until chicken done (15-20 mins). Add corn and continue cooking 5 more minutes (or do like me and just put it in with the other stuff). I serve mine with crushed tortilla chips, a nice helping of shredded cheese and if I'm on my game sour cream and a sprinkle of green onions. Makes 6 really nice servings..8 if you stretch it.



Today (at least for a while) was one of those beautiful fall blue days with very interesting cloud formations. I found myself stopped in traffic several times on my way to work this morning and I was so mesmerized by the clouds I snapped a few shots.


In spite of the blue skies there was also a misty fog hanging low


I would have liked to lay down on the ground and watch the clouds go by instead of driving into work!


Part of Downtown Tacoma on the ramp coming off the freeway - don't worry...we were at a dead stop.


It was really a perfect lunch hour to walk down to the Thursday Broadway Farmer's Market. This is the Hotel Murano which is kitty corner from my office building. They have some gorgeous glass artwork on display.


I love the detail on this building on the way down to the market


The fall market has fewer booths and fewer people...but more leaves!


Flowers were mostly dahlias..which is okay by me. I love them.


There's some neat architecture to look at down at the Market too....like this crumbling facade


Fresh produce ran mostly to root veggies and apples..with a few other fruit thrown in. I picked up a couple of Honey Crisp because they are my favorite. Before I moved out here apples were Red, Green and Yellow :-) Now I know names!


My favorite crepe stand was not set up today, so I opted for my second favorite..the Peruvian booth. I normally get the Tamal, but opted instead for the anticuchos...kind of like chicken shish kabobs. They were very Yummmmy.



I ate in this little plaza and enjoyed the gorgeous skies...which by the way were gone within an hour of taking this shot.


Luckily I brought dessert back to the office to console myself. Mango Lemonade from the Peruvian stand and the most awesome almond filled croissant from a little pastry stand called The Last Bite.


Hope everyone has a great weekend. Kitchen Bouquet is going on hiatus for a week while we travel to Louisiana. See you when we get back!

If you have a flashback of any kind that you'd like to add put your link below!


I'm joining in over at Foodie Friday this week. Check out the other posts HERE.

8 comments:

Katerina said...

Beautiful sopu and beautiful pictures of your town.

Carol said...

Suzy, it's getting to be soup weather here finally, too! I love soup weather, and we love Chicken Tortilla Soup! LOL, great picture :)

Nice skyline on the way downtown! Pretty buildings!

Have a great time in Louisiana!

Cathy said...

Wonderful photos, Suzy. I really enjoy seeing pictures of farmers markets in the Northwest. We have Honeycrisps now as well and they are my favorite. I'll be sorry to see the market close for the season.

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Hi Suzy,

That was a FUN tour! I have family in Tacoma. :)

Great photos of the building details, the "buttermilk" skies, and beautiful flowers.

Have safe travels to LA., I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time with your family. xo~m

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Stunning photos. I'd love to make that soup. Can you drop by my blog and tell me what size can of tomato products the recipe calls for? Thanks so much.

:)
ButterYum

Anonymous said...

Suzy,
Have a great week away. Looking forward to your return!
The dahlias were beautiful, as was your dessert.
I make a similar tortilla soup. It's great because it's so easy, versatile - I'll sub in other veggies depending on the time of year, and it freezes so well.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Your soup sounds delicious, Suzy! I've never tried making a tortilla soup at home but I love it. It's hard to get in the mood for soup when the forecast is 79 today and 75 tomorrow but I won't complain ;)

Beautiful dahlias and cloud shots!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Hi Suzy - thanks for adding the tomato info. I'm eager to give this recipe a try.

:)
ButterYum

Blog Widget by LinkWithin