Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Burrito in a Bowl

With most of the country frozen, I figure soup weather is still going strong. In the Pacific Northwest we have had a break from the freezing temps but not from our famous rain, so soups have been sounding good to us here too. Here's one I made last week that was super satisfying and I swear it really does taste just like a burrito!


Beef and Bean Burrito Soup

Inspired by Quick Black Bean Soup in Holly Clegg's Gulf Coast Favorites - a gift from my sister!

½-1 pound ground beef (If you use the lesser amount increase black beans)

1 small onion, chopped (for when I’m lazy I buy the frozen chopped onions and bell peppers and use those)

1 bell pepper, chopped

1-2 cloves garlic, minced (I buy the minced in the jar and just about a tablespoon)

1 can refried black beans

1-2 cans black beans (use more beans if you use less beef)

15 oz can diced tomatoes

4 cups chicken broth or water with enough chicken bouillon for 4 cups

1 teaspoon chili powder

1 teaspoon cumin

Season to taste ( I used about ¼ tsp onion powder, ¼ tsp garlic salt and ½ tsp creole seasoning – put salt and pepper would be okay too!)

Brown the ground meat & drain & rinse. Add to drained meat - onions, garlic and bell peppers and sauté til begins to get soft. Then add all other ingredients and cook for about 20 mins. Sprinkle each bowl with shredded cheese and cut up pieces of flour tortillas & green onions if you’re feeling fancy.

It won't be long before soup weather will be behind us. I'm looking forward to nursery shopping for some cool annuals like these spoon shaped african daisies I found last year.


4 comments:

Carol said...

It looks great, Suzy! Love the idea of a burrito in a bowl! Have to make this, looks like we'll be having long winter of soup weather!

Kathleen said...

Looks good, Suzy! I have to leave out the beans, peppers and garlic. So what would that be? LOL

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

This sounds delicious, Suzy! We love south-of-the-border (or gulf coast) flavors here :)

Agni said...

I love the last pfoto !!! Ag

Blog Widget by LinkWithin