Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Flashback Friday ~Sweet Potato Pancakes



Every Friday I try to Flashback to a favorite photo, memory or recipe. I call it Flashback Friday..clever huh? :-) HERE are some older Flashback Friday posts to check out. Huh...Flashbacks to Flashbacks. That's getting too deep for me!!!

This Friday I'm sharing a recipe for a favorite food from my past. Sometimes I get a little "foodsick" for my home state cooking and I have to try my best to whip up something myself to get over it. There's a restaurant in Lafayette, La called Dwyer's Cafe that serves great plate lunches and the best sweet potato pancakes in the world. And I have been craving them for a while.


They don't have a web page that I can find but they do have a Facebook page that you gotta love. They post the specials of the day. Here's a list of what they had going on today.

ROAST BEEF, PORK SAUSAGE, STUFFED BELL PEPPER W/ beef
CATFISH COURTBOULLION, FRIED CHICKEN,
COMBINATION SALAD, MACARONI SALAD, FRUIT SALAD
BAKED BEANS, STRING BEANS, SQUASH, EGGPLANT
WHITE OR BROWN RICE, AUGRATIN POTATOES, JAMBALAYA,
...BLACKBERRY COBBLER
Is your mouth watering???? I know mine is!!

I found a great recipe recently on Closet Cooking (one of my favorite food blogs) for sweet potato pancakes, so I thought I would give them a try and see if they satisfied my envie (Cajun for craving) for Dwyer's version. It came pretty close! And my stash of Steen's Cane Syrup that I brought home from my list trip to La helped to make it even closer since that is what they serve with it. Cane syrup is similar to molasses but not as dark or strong. It has a distinct flavor all its own.



They would be great with regular syrup too...so don't let your lack of Steen's throw you off. I made enough to have some for breakfasts on the go during the work week. They were yummy spread with a little peanut butter/Steen's mix too.

Sweet Potato Pie Pancakes
from Kevin at Closet Cooking (if my picture doesn't make you want some his WILL)
8 pancakes


Ingredients:
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (I cut back to 1/4 tsp)
1 cup buttermilk (or milk)
1 egg
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
1/2 cup mashed sweet potato (cooked) (I used canned and a more like 1 cup)
1 handful pecans (chopped)

Directions:
1. Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.
2. Mix the buttermilk, egg, butter and mashed sweet potato in another bowl.
3. Mix the wet and dry ingredients making sure to not over mix.
4. Heat a pan and melt a touch of butter in it.
5. Pour 1/4 cup of the mixture into the pan and heat until the surface starts to bubble and the bottom is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
6. Flip the pancake and cook the other side until the bottom is golden brown, about 1-2 minutes.


I just have to add this picture of my cousin Danny enjoying a cup of coffee in the little outdoor dining area at Dwyers. I think he'd had a late night and the sun was wayyyyy to bright :-) Love ya Little Danny!


If you have a Flashback of any kind that you'd like to share please add your link here and link back to me on your blog - or share a favorite flashback in the comments section if you don't have a blog.


I'm joining in over at Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday this week. Check it out HERE.
And I'm joining in for Sweet Tooth Friday for the first time. Visit it HERE.

7 comments:

Katerina said...

Beautiful pancakes Suzy and the addition of whole wheat flour makes them healthier than the normal ones.

Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

What a great twist on traditional pancakes. And healthy too!

I'd love to have you stop by and link up with Sweet Tooth Fridays! http://alli-n-son.com/2011/02/10/spicy-chocolate-chip-cookies/

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said...

Those pancakes look great! I still have a teeny bottle of Steen's that my folks brought back, I never used it, I will have to try these pancakes!

I linked one of my first flashbacks with you, I love flashing back to some of the older posts, always enjoy the flashbacks, thanks!

Kathleen said...

Those look delicious. I do like sweet potatoes, and why not for breakfast!

Kathleen said...

Back to say, I like your pic better! :)

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Lots of catfish on the menu :) What a great place and I can imagine why you'd be homesick for it.

I love sweet potatoes - theses pancakes must be delicious!

Gypsy Heart said...

I LOVE any foods from Louisiana! Hey, you used to be my neighbor. Seriously, there's nothing like that spicy, friendly flavor of the state. Thanks so much for sharing!

Glad I found your blog and I so look forward to getting to know you better. Hope you have a fabulous Valentine's Day!

xo
Pat

P.S. I have a love bug Shih Tzu too! Most awesome dogs aren't they?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin