Pages

Monday, June 15, 2009

June Garden Walk

With so much going on in my garden right now I feel like I have been neglecting it here on my blog. So I'd like to invite you on a little garden tour to make up for it! Jigs is waiting out front to welcome you.


Stop for a second a take a peek at one of my containers. I did a little patriotic theme. The little white flowers are 'Diamond Frost' euphorbia...I got the idea from my pal Barb


So lets head to the back yard. We will go in through the gate to the left of the house..right into my new little garden room I'm working on..my secret garden Randy called it this week :-) From my little bench you can see into the back yard.



One of the first things that greets you are these big pink poppies


And this sweet columbine


And in the little bed to the right 'Ebb Tide' is blooming. Its supposed to be one of the truest purple roses.


The pineapple fountain is just past this rose


Straight ahead the campanula are blooming. I love how they look against the backdrop of the euphorbia.


This pretty iris called Portrait of Larrie, is in the same area and the color is very similar to the campanula


Moving a little ways along the back border is this neat verbascum..I'm not sure of the variety but it has a really pretty dusky rose color.



Peony time is almost over, but they were really nice this year since we didn't have rain to beat them down.



I love the way this one has the dark pink at the base of the petals.



Along the way are a few clematis too. This one was sold to me as Jackmanii, but I doubt it! Still, it's very pretty and coming into it's own this year. It starts out very dark and velvety and ends up a much lighter purple.


As we get close to the arbor we find some daylilies beginning to bloom. Here is the rambunctious but very pretty "ditch lily".



And the very fragrant and early bloomer Hyperion


And here we are at the arbor. The first year we moved in we bought two Golden Showers yellow climbing roses and planted one on each side.


We still have some growing on the right, but the one on the left has reverted back to the root stock which is a brilliant reddish pink. Around the time those are done, tiny Super Fairy will be blooming and it looks like it will be quite the show this year.





Hiding underneath the arbor is one of my favorites. They grow wild here, but I have invited this one into my garden.



And this one that's a shade lighter



Just past the foxgloves, the red hot pokers are starting their show. Don't they just scream summer?


Almost at the end of the back border..right before the strawberry patch is this pretty pink spirea intermingling with one of my favorite hardy geraniums.



And this hiding in the right hand corner of the above pic..a sweet little yarrow. At least for now. In a week or two I will get tired of it because it refuses to stand up. See how the stems are horizontal? It's supposed to be about 4-5 feet tall but it's only inches from the ground!


In the corner right by the shed is sweet Josephine


The garden is past the shed along the side fence. No yield yet, but things are looking green!


Past the garden is my shady corner. I think I need to "thin" next year. It's realllllllly filled in. The hydrangeas will be blooming soon!


Coming up to the corner of the house...you might recognize the Valentines Day gift Randy got me. It looks like he might have to extend...I think I'm growing Jack's beanstalk!!!


The white clematis is one I got from my friend Karen, a local gardenbuddy (wave if you're out there Karen!). I don't know the name..she's a whiz at starting them from seeds. I think it's kind of like Mrs. Bateman though.



I hear the bubbling rock! Never mind the gnome....he was having a bad day!


Heading around the back of the house and around to the other corner is Nelly Moser (I think)


How about we sit for a while on the bench?


And maybe have a nice cool drink (had to get in a little Kitchen). It's my favorite summertime drink and really easy to do. Pour your favorite lemonade in a glass over ice (homemade is nice but store bought is great too) and add a shot of Pomegranate Italian Soda. I buy the Safeway brand. I could drink a gallon!



Thanks for stopping by!


I'd like to use this post as my entry into Outdoor Wednesday. This is my first time to join. There are usually some very beautiful posts so be sure and go check out all of the other links at A Southern Daydreamer

24 comments:

♥peachkins♥ said...

I'm not much of a garden person as my mom but I must say that you have a very beautiful garden.

A Grain of Salt said...

Suzy, wow, your beautiful gardens and lawn just blow me away. You are so good! Just beautiful.

Carol said...

Gorgeous garden, Suzy, you have the touch, it's beautiful! I love your arbor!

Red hot pokers, LOL, I'll have to get some of those!

Good lemonade :) Thanks for the walk!

Cathy said...

Oh my, your garden is glorious and your photos are perfect. Wish I could have joined you for that glass of tea and taken in all that beauty.

I know how much work it is.

Foley said...

Suzy - everything is so beautiful, I'm going to h ave to come back when I have more time and enlarge every photo!!

I've never grown columbines but I love yours..may be another item I need to add... So far my list is up to about 25 new things!!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

What a beautiful bounty your garden has right now, Suzy! Wonderful, wonderful, photos and lovely garden walk.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Your gardens and your pictures of it and the blooms growing there are just beautiful. You have done a wonderful job. Thank you for sharing your photos with us. Enjoy your tea and have a good day.

Kathleen said...

WOW! What a variety of flowers you have...They are all beautiful!
Bad gnome day??LOL
I have planted Diamond frost the last few years...The deer don't like it so I DO!
Great post, Suzy, loved the tour!

movingonlady said...

Wow what a garden. I love all the different types of flowers and how you have the position. Great post.
beautiful photo's.

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Happy Outdoor Wednesday Suzy! You have a gorgeous backyard...and a wonderful secret garden... full of beautiful blooms! Thanks for sharing your photos.~ Susan

susan said...

Wow is not enough!!! I am going to have to go back over this post slowly to take in all the different flowers! I got a kick out of your calling the orange ones "ditch Lilies". Have never heard that term, but it is the truth! I envy your foxgloves; have never had luck with them! Thank you so much for sharing your talent and beautiful garden with us!!!

Marsha said...

Suzy, your yard and gardens are so GORGEOUS! You not only have a green thumb but your whole hand must be ;) I love the variety and so many things I don't recognize so they must not be hardy or sold here. I did try red hot poker two times and both times they froze out their first winter. You have just the perfect curving beds and your colors are so awesome. Everything is so lush and green too even with your lack of rain. I don't think I have seen your shade garden before and it's just so pretty in all those shades of green - I can only imagine when the hydrangeas start to bloom. I visited yesterday for a short time with no time to comment and this morning I was back to enlarge the photos and really enjoy the gardens. Please do garden walks frequently so we can admire all the changes a garden brings :)

Kelly Bergsing said...

so pretty!! I love your garden!! the tomatoes look like you will be getting a whole lot pretty soon...!!

g.suzie said...

Oh, I'm jealous, it looks like you have your very own 'secret garden'!
Thanks for sharing, gorgeous flowers. . .

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What a pretty garden. Your flowers are beautiful
Glenda

Crystal said...

Wow! What a gorgeous garden, I should say gardens :) I love the fountain and your pond. All of your flowers are just beautiful. What state do you live in? I live in PA, so I am not sure about some of these in my garden.
Thanks for sharing!
Crytal

stefanie said...

your garden is beautiful and so is your blog, have a wonderful week.

Cynthia said...

Hi Suzy and Jigs ... Thanks for the garden tour. Suzy, your red columbine is gorgeous. Such a dainty flower.

Since your post about the bubbling rock, I have a greater appreciation for its beauty and all the hard work that went into its placement.

Gorgeous post ... I'll have to try your lemonade ... sounds tasty.

Sue said...

Hi Suzy,
Thank you for this lovely tour of your garden, i so enjoyed it. Your flowers are so beautiful. All the hard work has paid off.
Sue

Sandra said...

Oh what a pretty garden! I love everything! You have some flowers that i've never seen before. Very pretty.
Blessings,
Sandra

Suzy said...

Thanks everybody for the kind comments. I will try and update in July!

Claudia said...

Sorry jsut a smidge late...but had to say how lovely all your glorius shots are.

What a great green thumb and camera eye.

thanks for sharing..TTFN Claudia

Suzy said...

Thanks for such nice words Claudia!

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

you got very nice garden and look at all the flowers! stunning! thanks for sharing these great photos and happy OW. Have a great day too

Blog Widget by LinkWithin