Pages

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Loony Toons ~ Subtitled Daffy Does Hot Pom Toddy




Today was maybe not such a good way to start the New Year..or maybe a good way..I'll get it over with quick. I seem to have picked up a bug of sorts and have been hacking my brains out today. I'm not a big fan of cough syrup and rarely have any on hand, so I figured it might be time to improvise. Hall's Lemon Honey drops can only carry you so far. Enter the Hot Toddy...cough syrup's kinder and more tasty cousin. Now I've never actually had a Hot Toddy before today, so I had to go search out recipes on the net. There are many..but one that called for Grenadine piqued my interest. *Light Bulb* Grenadine is made from Pom Juice..which I still have a stash of in my fridge. From this was born the Hot Pom Toddy! Anyone making an early 2010 Christmas list..you can put me down for Irish Coffee Cups. Although Daffy is pretty cute.



Hot Pom Toddy

1-2 Tablespoons Honey (I like it sweeter)
Juice of 1/3 lemon
1 oz Bourbon (or Whiskey or Rum)
2 oz Pom Juice
1 tea bag (I used Bengal Spice, but I think Lemon would be great too)
Enough hot water to steep the tea

Coat the bottom of a Irish Coffee Cup (because the Hot Toddy is such a pretty color you want to show it off) with honey. Add lemon juice, liquor and Pom Juice. Prepare hot water and steep tea. Pour prepared tea into waiting cup. Garnish with lemon slice or cinnamon stick or both!

I have to report that I didn't cough once while I was drinking this.....the jury is still out on how long the effects will last. Might need to try a second! I should sleep like a baby tonight.

11 comments:

Marjorie Savill Linthwaite said...

Suzy, Happy New Year, wishing you all the best with your health - Marjorie

Rosemary said...

Hopefully this Hot toddy does the trick and you are better soon. I like the description of this drink and may try it just as a winter warm up.

Marigene said...

Happy New Year, Suzy...hope you get to feeling better!

Cynthia said...

Suzy, Happy New Year to you ... Sorry to hear that you're under the weather.

I've never had hot a Hot Toddy, but my husband swears by Rock & Rye. ... I like the Daffy mug, hope it works.

Kathleen said...

I have never had a hot toddy, and I gave up on the cough syrup..When I had pneumonia the doc said it only works if it has codeine..you don't cough cause you are knocked out!
So your remedy would do the same thing!
Feel better..I have missed you!

Foley said...

Welcome Back Suzy!!

It's the pits that you're not feeling good..I'm sure the Hot Pom Toddy will help, you may have to drink even more than two!! lol

I'm sure Randy is taking good care of you and Jigs is keeping you warm! Feel Better!!

Greg said...

Now that's my kind of cure! Hope you feel better soon.

Carol said...

Glad you're back, Suzy, we missed you! Sorry you picked up a bug, but a Pom Hot Toddy sounds a lot better than Robitussin!

Feel better!
Happy New Year!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Sorry you've picked up the dreaded cough, Suzy! Probably something picked up during your travels. I hope Daffy and Pom make it all better :)

A Grain of Salt said...

Aren't you clever with the Pom juice. Sure hope you are over the bug soon, Suzy. I love Bengel Spice on it's own... even better with those additions!

Marsha said...

You are making the Pom people happy with all your recipe inventing :) This one looks really good and I don't know about getting new cups - I would think that laughing daffy would make you feel better every time you tipped the cup up.

I sure hope you feel better soon! Take care of yourself my friend.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin