Pages

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Flashback and Foodie Friday ~In the Bag


For this Friday's Flashback I'm flashing WAY back to the 80's when I was in high school and monogrammed purses and bags and sweaters and ties and sheets and just about anything you can imagine monogrammed was popular. It was the preppy craze :-)


I was far from born into a preppy family so my monograms were far and few between but I did have a monogrammed purse that I loved. I've been seeing a lot of monogrammed stuff lately and having been thinking of buying something...anything with my monogram on it. Enter the nice people at Simply-Bags! They have a fabulous assortment of Totes that they will monogram for you so you can be back in retro style :-) They were kind enough to send this huge tote to me...big enough for a baguette and tons of veggies from the farmer's market. And BONUS....I got me a monogram :-)



I love it! There are a few more bags of theirs that I'd love to have...this one is a favorite.


Go check em out :-)

I have one more flashback this week...also known as leftovers! Some of you might cringe, but I have a hard time throwing food out so I like to save or freeze my leftovers for future easy meals. Earlier in the week we had barbecue beef (was supposed to be pork, but beef was in my freezer!) on buns. It looked something like or maybe EXACTLY like this...



Last night it looked like this



Which also brings me back to the 80's when I used to eat these BBQ beef stuffed baked potatoes at a restaurant called Luther's BBQ..now known as Outlaws, in the town where I grew up. Never mind the ones I ate more recently at Bodacious BBQ in Bossier City, La. They are SO good...trust me.

My recipe for the BBQ Beef is pretty simple. Put a seasoned (Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, garlic salt, & onion powder) roast (pork or beef) in a crockpot, cover with your favorite BBQ sauce, a big squirt or two of ketchup, a splash of coca cola and some honey and cook down all day on low. Remove roast and shred with a fork then return to crockpot and cook for 20-30 more minutes. Done. Serve on buns or on baked potatoes with cheese, sour cream, bacon and chives as your toppings.



If you've got a flashback of any kind....old post, picture, recipe, memory....ANYTHING...join me by putting your post below and linking back to my blog. You can borrow the logo too if you'd like.


I'm also joining Foodie Friday over at Designs by Gollum. Lots of neat foodie posts so go take a peek HERE.

15 comments:

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Good morning! Linking for the first time to your Flashback Friday a recipe that has been in my family a long time too. Fun participating with you!

The BBQ Beef on the bun looks just as good as you describe it ~ and I am a leftover person too!

Nice stopping by!
Kindly, ldh

Foley said...

I've seen some monogram items I like also.. you'll get much use out of that bag I'm sure. Need to check out the site.
Nice switchup with the beef...both look great, so much better than having the exact same meal over and over!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

My flashback is from the 80's too! Beautiful bread bag. Now I'm hungry for BBQ!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I just linked to Flashback Friday, I'll link it to my post in just a minute here! Thanks!

The potatoes look awesome!

Cynthia said...

Suzy, love your flashback AND new bag. I went through the monogrammed, preppy phase of the 80's but NOT as a teen. :) Had a couple of favorite monogrammed purses.

We love BBQ. Although we favor pork, my husband would eat your beef sandwich in a heartbeat.

Carol said...

My flashback is only from last week!

Love the leftovers and the original! and what a pretty bag! and the monogram! I never changed my initials when I got married but then I never had anything monogrammed. Too bad, LOL!

I remember that book. Not a preppy here, either!

A Grain of Salt said...

Suzy, looks great on the bun and repeated on the potato. I bet they both tasted delish. Cute Tote!

Lady Katherine said...

Thanks for stopping in to visit. This sandwich looks wonderful! I enter my link by mistake. lol I was going for the comment form, so use to linking, and my link was there and I hit enter. lol you can delete it.Love to have a bite!

Suburban Girl said...

Ahhhh, I remember preppy! I didn't have anything monogrammed though. We always use our leftovers too. I just can imagine throwing all the $ into the trash. Your recipe looks nice and easy. I think I will give it a try sometime soon.

Anonymous said...

Love your photos of your yard and beautiful flowers. Can you come landscape my yard? I love flowers too and have a huge bouquet of yellow roses from my garden on my table. thanks for the comment on my coconut cake recipe :)

DarcyLee said...

I remember I had a monogrammed sweater in the early 80's that my mom ordered for me. It was yellow (my favorite color then) with navy monogrammed letters. I, too, am a leftover person. If my husband doesn't eat it in a couple of days it goes in the freezer to be transformed into a new creation. Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. Love to "meet" new bloggers!

Kathleen said...

No flashback or hot flashes either.
Looks good, Suzy.
Have a great weekend!

Marsha said...

Great post - I love monogrammed things and those purses are cute! Inventive way to use the left over BBQ - it looks good :)

Unknown said...

My mom was obsessed with Luther's baked potatoes! LOVE your blog.

Chrissy K.

Suzy said...

Thanks Chrissy! Those Luther's potatoes were great. Along with the footlong chili dogs from Weiner King across the street! :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin