I've mentioned before (probably more times than you cared to read about) the United Way fundraiser/raffle I've been involved in. Well, finally the last of the goodies have been baked. The final of the 5 winners took a while to make her decision. I was beginning to think she never would make up her mind :-) But when she finally did, WOW what a great choice! And not just what she picked but who she picked. She very graciously decided to donate her prize to the NICU nurses at the hospital where I work, for all that they do. I thought it was a great "pay it forward" gesture. She rewarded them with the Over the Top Turtle Brownies I had made for one of the other winners. This is a great recipe, rich, gooey, chewy and oh so fudgy.
Over the Top Turtle Brownies
1/2 cup butter
4 squares (1 oz. each) unsweetened chocolate
1 cup brown sugar
3 eggs, beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup bittersweet or semi sweet chocolate chips or chunks
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1 jar (450 g.) Dulce de Leche caramel spread
- Melt butter and chocolate together. Stir in brown sugar, eggs and vanilla, mix well.
- Add salt, flour and chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
- Pour half of the batter into a greased 9 inch square pan. (I doubled the recipe and used a 9x13 pan)
- Bake at 325 degrees F. for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spread Dulce de Leche evenly over top, then sprinkle pecans over the top. Spoon remaining brownie batter on top and smooth it out.
- Return to oven and bake for about another 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cool and cut into squares. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
I just had to show you my little confused visitor from yesterday. He was wondering where spring went!! Just a little snow left now, but chilly tonight!