Pages

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Flashback and Foodie Friday ~ Sick Day Jello and Soup






Usually on Fridays I flashback to some food & flowers from the past..mainly because I usually order Pizza on Fridays. This time my flashback is mental only because my feature is something I actually made today, but the memory of this dish flashes me back to when I was just a little girl and I was feeling under the weather (like today). Whenever I stayed home from school my mom would inevitably make me Jello with whipped cream. Well it's been a while since I was in school, but I did stay home from work today with a bad cold and needed something to eat..but not much. *Light Bulb* ~ smart Mom..she knew just what I needed when I was flo-ho. I honestly can't remember the last time I made Jello and when I got the craving for some I was afraid there wouldn't be any in the pantry. I dug deep...and came up with one box! So here it is in all its glory...the whipped cream is a must or the memory just isn't complete.





Here's one flashback flower from early June of this year. I am ready for more iris!




So the jello was just a snack....I needed lunch too. Nothing much, but something more than jello. Soup seemed right. There's one I had in the back of my head that my friend Carol made not long ago. See her post here at There's Always Time to Cook. Avgolemono Soup! I knew it required few ingredients and cooked up quick so that fit the bill. I followed the recipe to a tee and it came out great. I used rice instead of orzo. I did garnish it with cucumber and then I decided that the cucumber tasted really great with the soup so chopped up some pieces. Totally weird I guess, but try it you'll like it!


Avgolemono Soup
by Victoria Granof (Cookie, April 2009, Epicurious.com)

4 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup uncooked orzo (or rice or pastina)
Salt and pepper to taste
3 eggs
3 tablespoons lemon juice

In a large saucepan, bring the broth to a boil.

Add the orzo, rice, or pastina and cook until tender but still al dente, about 7 minutes (20, if using rice). Season with the salt and pepper and reduce heat to low; simmer.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and lemon juice until smooth.

Ladle about 1 cup of the hot broth into the egg-and-lemon mixture, then whisk to combine.

Add the mixture back to the simmering saucepan. Stir just until the soup becomes opaque and thickens as the eggs cook, 1 to 2 minutes. Add more salt and pepper, if desired, and serve.

This is my contribution to Foodie Friday held by Michael Lee our gracious host at Designs by Gollum. I 'm not staying with the theme (Trainwrecks), but Michael Lee assures me this is fine and dandy. She's really great that way. Or wait..maybe I am staying with the theme because I FEEL like a trainwreck. Go check out the other fun posts here.



If you have a Flashback Friday post please put your link here! I'm happy to have you join me. Here are some of my past Flashback Friday posts.

16 comments:

Joyce said...

Feel better and thanks for posting the recipe. It sounds quick and easy.
joyce

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Suzy, you are too nice to be sick. I hope you feel better soon, and I suppose if you have to be sick, the jello and soup would be a nice meal :-)

Ginger said...

Jell-O looks so delicious and simple. The soup is definitely something I am going to try. I love the cucumber in it. Have a great weekend.....

bj said...

So sorry you aren't feeling well. The jello and whipped creme looks delicious...

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

I haven't fixed this soup in years! I need to ...Happy Foodie Friday! Have a great weekend ~ Susan

Christi @ A Southern Life said...

I'm in. Thanks for a new meme and get well soon!

Cynthia said...

Love your irises, ours are just starting to bloom.

Suzy, I'm so sorry the cold is lingering. I enjoyed seeing and reading about your memory flashback and how your mom knew what you needed when you were a flo-ho. I wasn't familiar with flo-ho, so I did a search and only could find the definition below. I'm pretty sure there must be some other meaning. :)
meaning of flo-ho The soup looks tasty. I hope your cold doesn't put a damper on your weekend. Take care.

Suzy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suzy said...

Thanks everyone for the get well wishes! I am feeling a lot better today so am hauling my flo-ho butt to work! lol Cynthia you gave me a HUGE laugh this morning and made me wonder. I this is something my mom always said. This is what I found:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=A0oGkt_EcQ1KnHYBGSdrCqMX;_ylu=X3oDMTBvdmM3bGlxBHBndANhdl93ZWJfcmVzdWx0BHNlYwNzcg--?qid=20090502225600AAN9b2h

Obviously she was influenced by the 3 years she spent in Spain & the 4 years on Panama!

Christi thanks for joining me!

Debbie what a sweet thing to say.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Sorry, you don't feel well. My mother always gave me jello and soup, too! I always loved cream of tomato with extra milk! ;-)

XO,

Sheila :-)

imjacobsmom said...

There's always time for Jell-o. My Mom always made me Jell-o, too. I always had the lime. I haven't had Jell-o in a long time. I should make some for Jacob - that would be a nice surprise before he comes home from school. I better go dig in my pantry....Robyn

Marsha said...

When we were sick we always drank hot or warm jello before it set...I don't know why but it sure tasted good ;)

Off to see what Cynthia found out about floho/flojo!

Carol said...

ROTFL @ Cynthia's explanation of Flo-ho! Glad you're feeling better, Suzy! I had the jello, too, as a kid, and ginger ale. Your jello looks great, just like I'd remember, like a parfait :)

Always fun joining you in a flashback!

Carol said...

Forgot to say, glad you liked the soup! Looks good with cucumber :)

Kathleen said...

There's always room for jello...Hope you feel better!
Beautiful flowers, Suzy, always!

Cory! said...

Suzy: I made those cookies and they were fantastic! Thanks so much for the recipe, here's some pictures of my creations: http://girlcheesesandwitch.blogspot.com/

Blog Widget by LinkWithin