Pages

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Happy Tres de Mayo!

So I'm early...it's not Cinco de Mayo yet and I've already had two Mexican food posts this week! I have to be honest..with all of the Mexican inspired food being shown in blogland these days I started craving chicken enchiladas. I usually do a perfectly good recipe that contains canned condensed soup. It's great..really! Very homey and creamy. I wanted to try something different though and hopefully more like those I've tried at restaurants. I couldn't find a recipe just like what I was hoping for so combined a few and the result was very rich and yummy! I whipped up some refried beans for a side (out of the can but spruced up with onions, garlic and butter).



Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas

16 oz sour cream, divided
6 oz cream cheese (I use the kind in the tub), divided
1 cup cooked chicken, shredded
1 small can green chiles
1 small can green salsa, divided
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 oz finely shredded cheddar ( I used a great local cheese that is basil flavored)
Garlic salt
Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
8 flour tortillas

Combine half of the sour cream, half of the cream cheese, chicken, green chiles and half of the green salsa. Season to taste with garlic salt, Tony's or your favorite seasoning. Divide evenly between 8 tortillas, sprinkle with a couple of tablespoons of shredded cheese and roll up. Place in a 9x13 casserole. I usually have to put the 8th one lengthwise because I roll them too fat! Mix remaining sour cream, cream cheese, cream and green salsa. Pour this over enchiladas being careful to cover all. If it is too thick add more cream. Cover with remaining cheese. Cook at 375° for 30 minutes. Let sit for at least 5 minutes before serving.

Whew..after that rich meal I need a walk around the yard!!!



Purple daisies by the bubbling rock



This azalea is so bright it's almost neon!



I am a sucker for the candy strip look so couldn't leave the nursery yesterday without this geranium.



And some future food for the Kitchen!



9 comments:

Ginger said...

I wish I had access to that cheese you get. It sounds unbelievable. I really like this recipe. My husband loves Chicken Enchiladas but prefers a sauce like your sauce. He doesn't like the red sauce at all!! Have a great week..

Cynthia said...

Happy Cuatro de Mayo :)

Suzy, the chicken enchiladas sound delicious but definitely rich.

I see you put a little of LA in the recipe with the Creole seasoning.

Great garden pics... love the little ant on the strawberry blossom. And the purple daisies are cute!

I love that you let us walk around the garden with you.

Marsha said...

I have a perfectly good cr/soup recipe as well so have never ventured into the start from scratch like this. Yours do look so great...I may have to try them too.

Loved the walk through the garden. Didn't you win the bubbling rock fountain? I would love to see it once again.

Foley said...

Suzy - the enchiladas look vey good and rich!! I use the soup recipe too..I bet my boys would like this one better!

Love the flowers..the purple daiseys and that azalea!

Do show a photo of your fountain..I like the rocks!

Kathleen said...

You are really into Mexican food! I am such a plain jane!
Your flowers looks so pretty, and yes show us the burping rock..:) that's what it would do after those refried beans...

Linda said...

I will have to try these. I think they look so good. And your flowers....so gorgeous! We are just starting to break out of the grayness of winter here in Central NY!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Chicken enchiladas are one of the favorites dishes at our Mexican restaurant. That local cheese sounds wonderful!

I love your garden snippets and those purple daisies, Suzy :)

A Grain of Salt said...

Suzy, yum! The endhiladas sound delicious. Your garden pics are always a delight!

Annie said...

Happy Cinco de Mayo to you, Suzy. Wow, that is one rich and delicious recipe! Bring it on, bring it on, LOL, yum. I love creamy chicken enchiladas, not with red sauce - tonight's the night, thanks for the reminder!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin