Pages

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Flashback Friday - Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup



Lets flash back to December! I know soup is a winter dish, but this soup I made back when there was snow on the ground was so fresh and summery tasting I think you would enjoy it just as well now as I did then. I got the recipe from my friend Carol who has a great blog called There's Always Thyme to Cook. Go check her out! I believe the recipe was originally from Giada on the Food Network

Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup



Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 (26-ounce) jar marinara sauce
  • 2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth
  • 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 cup any small pasta
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Warm the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, onion, and garlic and saute until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the jar of marinara sauce, chicken broth, cannellini beans, red pepper flakes, pasta, salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve.




If you would like to join me with a flashback to anything...food, flowers, fun, family please put your link below!

10 comments:

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Suzy, this makes me think of our upcoming tomato season. Every summer, the farm that I do business with offers me oodles of tomatoes. Thanks for sharing this wonderful flashback!

Carol said...

Great flashback! Thanks for the mention :) It really is a quick and spicy soup! We loved it, too!

Marsha said...

I agree a great flashback! This recipe might almost make me want to try tomato soup once again...I haven't liked it since the awful stuff we use to have in school hot lunches.

Foley said...

Add a grilled cheese and you have my perfect lunch!! I remember Carol posting this..will have it on my list for this fall!

Cynthia said...

Nice flashback, Suzy, I remember your original post and Carol's. What I didn't remember was that you had alphabet pasta in the soup.

Maybe I am more tuned into the alphabet soup after watching several episodes of Martha Speaks yesterday with my granddaughter.

It does sound like a tasty version.

Kathleen said...

You made it..I know you were plum tuckered out from the strudel! Did you link that to Foodie Fri?
Great flashback, and Marsha, I love Campbell's Tomato Soup..go figure! :)

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I have to go through my food archives again and find a good flashback! I just haven't had much computer time recently. This soup sounds wonderful and I'm going to save it for a cool day at the end of summer when the fresh tomatoes are ripe!

Cindy said...

Suzy, that's Pasta e Fagioli. I don't use marinara, but everything else is the same. You can use red or white kidney beans or garbanzos.

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin