Pages

Saturday, June 19, 2010

2010's Revenge

I'm having a little blogger's remorse for dogging my 2010 garden so unmercifully in my last post. It really is a nice little garden..trying so hard to be summery despite the cool rainy days we are having. As I type this and look out the window it looks more like a misty cool fall day than a 2 days before the official start of summer day. But I also see so many spots of beautiful color. Like these pink hardy geraniums and white campanula


The rain is really making the plants grow and spread quickly like this cute little hardy geranium spilling out of the bed along the side of the house.


Somehow the peonies have not all been destroyed and I do still have a few to enjoy and smell. See the buds behind yet to open?


One sure spot of color is my California Lilac (Ceanothus) that is blooming so well. Its supposed to like drier conditions, so I'm a little surprised. Its mingling with a no name rose and Rouge Cardinal clematis


While I don't yet have any pink or purple daylilies blooming I do have some yellow and orange. Including this one. I am not a huge fan of orange anything (colorwise) but love how it looks with purple or bright pink, so this clematis makes a good neighbor.


On down the fence is another purple clematis that is just starting to bloom in earnest, Etoile Violette which is definitely one of my favorite. It has a smaller flower but makes up for it by covering the vines in a mass of starlike violet purple blooms.


Also starting to bloom is this little favorite hardy geranium. Its the prettiest shade of pink and almost the same color as the pink spirea that is on the verge of opening


And more daylilies, a fragrant variety peeking out of the lilac.


Some store bought color, in the bed under the dogwood...an almost fluorescent New Guinea impatiens


The dogwood itself is still thrilling me!


Well even the fairies have something new blooming, two tiny "hydrangeas" to flank their new doorway.


And in my garden there is always some sunshine to be had even if its make believe :-)


So in addition to all of the actual flowers I DO even have something in my veggie garden to harvest and its probably thanks to the rain and coolness!

I planted escarole this year for the first time and the plants are big enough to harvest some of the leaves, so I picked a few to make something for lunch. Plus a sprig or two of parsley from some plants I put in the ground a couple of months ago.

I actually had never eaten escarole until today either! So had to look around for a recipe idea. I saw a lot of Italian dishes made with escarole and white beans and decided to go this route in the form of a hearty salad.



Sautéed Escarole, Corn, and White Bean Salad

Adapted from this recipe on the Cooking Light website.

1 heads escarole, rinsed well then cut into 1 inch slices (I could have used more since they cook down quick)
2 Tablespoons precooked bacon bits)
1 garlic clove, minced
Corn Kernels from two left over cobs (fresh)
A few sprigs chopped parsley
1 (15-ounce) can navy beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
garlic salt, to taste

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add escarole to pan with a tiny bit of water; cook 3 minutes or until wilted, turning frequently. (I actually just covered the pan and it was cooked very quickly). Add bacon, garlic, corn and a small amount of olive oil to pan; cook 2-3 minutes or until corn begins to slightly brown zucchini is tender. Combine escarole/corn mixture, parsley, and beans in a large bowl. Add vinegar and remaining ingredients; toss well to coat. Serve immediately (but I have a feeling this wouldn't be half bad the next day).

4 comments:

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Gorgeous garden!! I've never had escarole too but it looks great, thanks!

Marigene said...

Beautiful garden, Suzy...it is hard to believe you still have buds on your peonies...mine faded a month ago, it is a long wait until next spring. Your clematis is gorgeous, beautiful shade of purple...those orange day lilies are my favorites...I will be using them in this coming week's Tablescape Thursday, along with some ditch lilies, white coneflowers and gooseneck loosestrife. The fairies are going to love the hydrangea!

Carol said...

You don't have to sway me, I KNEW your garden of 2010 would be gorgeous:) The escarole looks fantastic!

Debbie said...

Oh my! your flowers are beautiful!!! I enjoyed taking a stroll through your gardens this evening. mmmmmm....very relaxing.
Have a great night Suzy!
Debbie@houseatthelake

Blog Widget by LinkWithin