Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Flashback Friday ~Kitchen Sink Cookies


I had a daylong series of meetings this week at work that had the potential to be unpleasant...I was delivering results from an audit I did..nothing major but people have a tendency to get defensive. So of course I wanted to be prepared and ward off any ill will. Homemade cookies usually do the trick and this case was no exception. It was a good day, nice people and plenty of mmms and yums! The recipe is one I've made before and its worthy of a flashback (over and over).



Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookies
from Cookie Madness
I'd like to subtitle these "Everything but the Kitchen Sink Cookies"!

About 30 cookies
1 stick (4 oz) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup toasted pecans
1/2 cup shredded coconut
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F or 350 degrees if you’d like softer cookies.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into the sugar mixture until well blended. Stir in the oats, chocolate chips, pecans and coconut until evenly distributed. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven for a chewy cookie or 14 minutes for a firmer cookie.
Cool for 1 minute on the cookie sheet and then remove to wire rack. Cool completely and then store in tightly sealed container.

Suzy’s note: I tried these with a cup of raisins along with the other additions. Over the top on the add ins, but Randy likes raisins. I also had to cook 3 minutes longer in my gas oven.




I'm happy to report that we have turned a corner weather wise here. Yesterday was the first day since mid September that we hit 75. I'm not a heat lover, but I have to say I was so happy to see the sun again. Today was nearly as nice. Keeping my fingers crossed that this keeps up through the weekend. Here are a few shots I snapped this evening after dinner.




Suddenly everything's coming up roses.



Jigsy admiring the flowers


White poppy and Prince Charles


And a red annual poppy that's as tall as me



Pink spirea is blooming pretty


Saxifrage blooms by the bubbling rock



And my LSU flavored irises :-) Goooo Tigers and Gooo Summer!


If you have a flashback of any kind please add your link below then link back to me on your blog.


I'm joining in on Foodie Friday this week over at Designs by Gollum


And Fertilizer Friday at Tootsie Time




Join me in the fun! I'd love for you to participate in this event with me. Bring your ice cream related posts...anything goes! Tablescapes, recipes, memories, and favorite products will all be welcome. Or anything else you come up with. See you at the parlor!

8 comments:

pam said...

Gorgeous flowers (and cookies!) I'll gladly give you some of my heat. I've marked the ice cream social on my calender, I'm sure I can come up with something frozen!

Debbie said...

These cookies look yummy! We will have a house full for the fourth, so I'll be making these for my crowd.
Your flowers are lovely...love the papery poppy.
Debbie@houseatthelake
Thank you for stopping by.

Keri said...

YUM Cookies! Jigsy is too cute. Looks like Ferdinand, watchin the grass grow. Just love this blog.

Keri a.k.a.a Sam

Carol said...

Everything is coming up roses! So pretty! and the sky is such a pretty blue! Hope you continue to get such nice weather!

I can see why those cookies would bring about good will, I'll be nice to you for a cookie like that. But I cannot promise to be nice to Barb or Kathleen, LOL!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Those cookies could sooth any ill will at a staff meeting! Good for you for being proactive and setting a good mood. They look delicious!

I love the saxifrage garden shot!

Foley said...

You are a smart 'cookie' !! If they are a flashback - I don;t remember them. Will copy and paste right away - they sound yummy! (Don't give any to Carol)

Love the Saxifrage blooms - they are new to me. And what is up with tht poppy - just how tall is it...

Tootsie said...

oh how pretty!!! I love hydrangea and roses...two plants that I struggle with but still love none the less!!!

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Gorgeous garden flowers and delicious cookies! I hope you saved a cookie for poor Randy :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin