Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Flashback and Foodie Friday~Double Flash

We had a pretty mild winter over all although we had one very cold spot, but its been a marathon runner...still hanging on. We have not reached 75 degrees yet this year. And that is a record for even drizzly rainy Pacific Northwest. This morning the friendly but weary weatherman said its unlikely we will see it anytime in the next two week! So I took a peek back to last year to see what I had going on..I love this kind of competitive flashback. 2009 is definitely whoopin 2010's butt! I already had hydrangeas blooming. This year they aren't even buds cute enough to photograph yet. Score 1 for 2009



These cute little Lollipops are still hiding today. Score 2 for 2009


I noticed today that the pink spirea is on the verge of blooming...just barely trying to open up..what a difference a year makes! Okay maybe close to a tie...


Now I'm scared...I haven't seen hide nor hair of this verbascum this year. I wonder if its gone???? Score 3 for 2009


Score 4 - Happy Daisy Sunshine 2009..not a bud in sight this year.......


And I think its a slam dunk Score 5 for 2009...beautiful pink daylilies!



Poor 2010.....Guess the only thing it has going for it is good food!


Sunny side up! These are my favorite eggs...taught to me by my french cousin Ethel. Let's call them,

Ethel's Eggs

2 large fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped (drop for a second in hot water if the peel gives you trouble)
BUTTER - a must (I am not a butter snob, but margarine just will not do in this case)
Salt, Pepper
Thyme, basil, rosemary

Saute a couple of tablespoons (give or take) of butter and tomatoes seasoned with salt and pepper and the other stuff to taste. Cook until it makes a sauce that starts to thicken slightly. Make room in the sauce to crack the eggs..this is how you will know if the sauce is ready. You will be able to kind of make a space without the juice running in too fast. Cook until eggs are set. Serve with french bread to sop up the juice.

I guess in a way this is a double flashback. I have a lot of happy memories surrounding these eggs. Here's Ethel in her cute little kitchen. I spy a bowl full of good tomatoes destined for the frying pan!


If you've got one please add your Flashback below and link back to me!



I'm linking up to Designs by Gollum's Foodie Friday event. Go check out all of the other great recipes HERE.

7 comments:

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Suzy, I admire your positive attitude despite the weather you are having! Keeping my fingers crossed that it warms up soon! Love how you included "sunny side up" :-) Hoping your cousin Ethel reads your blog.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Isn't it awesome how something as simple as cooking an egg can invoke such great memories?

Carol said...

Kind of hard to beat 2010 when it comes to the food! Ethel's eggs looks soooooo good! But you did have a great year for flowers in 2009, just beautiful!

Great flashback, Suzy! Good idea, 09 vs 10 :)

Debbie said...

Here in upper/lower Michigan our growing season is three weeks behind southern Michigan. I just finished with the peonies, and my girlfriend downstate has EVERYTHING blooming! The weather here hasn't been real great...but much better than what you are experiencing!
Your pics from last season are wonderful tho!
Yummy looking food too!
Debbie@houseatthelake

Keri said...

Beautiful Blooms and Fresh Eggs. What a perfect combo. This blog is right up my alley. You're fabulous. Keri a.k.a. Sam

Kathleen said...

The flowers are beautiful, Suzy! No link up this week? I will go take it off my post then.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Looks like 2009 and Ethel's Eggs are the winners! I'm sorry about the weather you've been having this year, Suzy, but you'll have lots to look forward to in the garden when the weather does warm up. And we had one of the warmest Mays in history! Go figure.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin