Pages

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Flashback and Foodie Friday ~4th of July






In honor of the 4th of July, I thought it fitting to flashback to a very beautiful 4th of July 3 years ago. Randy, Jigs and I went to enjoy the sunset and fireworks at a little spot that's perfect for it! Brown's Point has a light house and a vintage lighthouse keepers cottage. The grounds are park like and perfect for picnics and the like. It's set in the middle of neighborhood with houses that look over Puget Sound. People from the neighborhood haul chairs from their houses to the point and people like us scramble for parking and do the same. I like to get there a little early and stake out a spot, then people and scenery watch til dark. 2006 was a great year for scenery! The clouds were amazing.


The lighthouse is a relatively newer structure


But the cottage dates back to an earlier time. It's actually part of the Tacoma park system. You can rent it by the week and part of your "duty" is to offer tours to those who ask. One year I was asked to take a picture of a group staying at the house. I didn't know them, I was just handy and already snapping photos. They invited me in and I got the tour. It's a sweet little house and has windows situated so you could see all sides of the "point". Click here for a little bit of history.


Its right on the water, so you get to watch to boats go by


The Olympic Mountains were glowing!



This photo almost looks like two merged into one. The sky had a split personality!


I am hoping to be back at Brown's Point in a couple of days celebrating the 4th!



I'm also flashing back to a sweet treat that is not necessarily 4th of July related, but it does seem like the main ingredient is usually just starting to bear around this time of the year.


Raspberry Cream Scones
(or Cherry as the original recipe calls for)
From my gardenbuddy Diane (Nibbs) who lives north of my on Vancouver Island.

3/4 cup fresh raspberries or dried cherries
1 cup boiling water
3 cups flours
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup margarine - room temperature
1 egg - separated
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cups half-and-half cream
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract (I use pure extract)
1 additional sugar

Soak cherries in water for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside. If using raspberries skip this step.In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cream of tartar. With a pastry blender, cut in the margarine. Set aside.
In a small bowl, combine egg yolk, sour cream, cream and extract. Add to the flour mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently six to eight times. Knead in cherries or raspberries. Divide dough in half and shape into balls. Roll each ball into a 6 inch circle. Cut into six wedges. Repeat with remaining ball. Place on lightly greased baking sheet. Beat the egg white until foamy; brush tops of scones and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400 º F. for 15-20 minutes. Serve warm.


Suzy's note: The raspberries are a lot wetter and fragile than the cherries would be so take care to not handle the dough to much or it becomes a squishy mess.

If you have a Flashback of any kind to share please add your link below!


I want to remind everyone about the Ice Cream Social event I'm hosting next weekend, July 11th-12th. Mr. Linky will be up and waiting for your ice cream themed posts! Share your favorite homemade or storebought ice cream goodies, your ice cream dishes, your favorite ice cream parlor or anything even remotely ice cream related. I will supply the whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles!



I also want to let everyone know about another fun event my friend Susan at Savoring Time in the Kitchen is hosting on July 18-19th. Share your gardens, garden-inspired tablescapes or garden-fresh recipes!



Finally I'd like to link up with Design by Gollums Foodie Friday event. Go check out all of the fun posts.

15 comments:

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

What gorgeous photos, Suzy! What fun it would be to stay in the house with those gorgeous views.

I do love scones and that recipe sounds wonderful! It's kind of a bed and breakfast post :)

Happy July 4 to you too!

Cynthia said...

Suzy, the clouds are wonderful, and you did a wonderful job capturing their beauty. Sounds like a lovely place for a 4th of July celebration and picnic.

Love the history of the cottage, very interesting ... I remember the raspberry scones. :)

Happy Fourth to you, Randy, and Jigs.

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

I adore scones - I might have to give these a try this weekend!

Thanks for the opportunity to add a flashback post with Mr. Linky!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Your photos are all lovely but those scones look simply out of this world.
Thanks for sharing the recipe with us. Have a wonderful holiday weekend.

Shellbelle said...

That sky and your recipe both look amazing! I just adore raspberries and your photo just looks lovely against your blog background.

The Fajdich Times said...

Your pictures are great! I just love scones and your recipe sound great. Happy 4th:)

Nicole Feliciano said...

HAppy 4th to you! We’re planning on grilling up a storm this weekend. I just posted a recipe share link on my site. Hope you’ll stop by and add a favorite:

http://momtrends.blogspot.com/2009/07/friday-feasts.html

Unknown said...

I'm going to try those raspberry scones for a tea party with my niece and granddaughter... Pink is their color!
Thanks!
Have a wonderful week end and a fabulous 4th!
~Really Rainey~

Foley said...

Beautiful photos of the sky Suzy! I do remember the scones!
HAve a wonderful 4th!

Carol said...

Gorgeous shots, Suzy! Those scones look fantastic!

Happy 4th of July!

Unknown said...

Amazing photos. Thanks for sharing them and the delicious sounding scone recipe. I am anxious to give them a try. I hope you will join me for Crock Pot Wednesdays beginning in August.

Kathy Walker said...

Beautiful photographs and the scones look delicious. This will be tomorrow morning's treat!

Country Reflections said...

Love your photos and the scones look delicious!

Kathleen said...

The pics are great..but I really, really want one of those scones!

Trinity said...

your post was wonderful! LOVE the recipes!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin