Pages

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Independence Day!


In honor of the 233rd birthday of the United States, how about a totally Red, White and Blue post? If I had enough room in my little garden I would have an area dedicated to red, white and blue. I just love the combination! Sometimes by accident it happens anyways :-) This one is missing white at the moment.



And this one missing red


At the front door you do get a little of all three


And kind of..here by the pineapple fountain..what..you can't see those red and white smudges in the background?




But throughout the borders you do see lots of Red, White and Blue. In the front we have Red roses.


White Daisies


And Blue Cupid's Dart


Some flowers take care of Red and White on their own and we just need to throw in a little Blue. Like this cute mini rose.


I should have it near this corydalis


And this other little climbing mini rose


Would be a good companion to the delphiniums...hmmm I think this is a good start to making a rearranging plan!


I do have this cute little Hot Lips Salvia planted near the California Lilac that blooms Blue. Unfortanately not at the same time!


I could move the spiderwort close by though and that might do the trick!


Here's another combo that would look awesome together.

Blue Hydrangeas



White Yarrow



Red Daylilies


And one more Red, White and Blue set

Verbena



Hosta


And this light Blue Prince Charles Clematis


I ended up with more Red & White than Blue, but here they are anyways

Old fashioned rose


These look like fire works!


I did find a little blue...


Here's a little collage I did a couple of years ago along the same lines.



I have to sneak in this Bouquet!



And how about a little Red, White and Blue from the Kitchen



Berry Tiramisu
Adapted from several recipes listed at Tiramisu: Heaven in Your Mouth

I kind of winged it, so this is just a rough outline

For the berry layer:
Strawberries (lets call it a pint)
Raspberries (and probably a half pint)
Sugar (this I leave up to you)
Grand Marnier
Marsala Wine

For the cream layer:
Marcarpone Cheese (I used 4 oz)
Heavy Cream (I used 2 cups)
Powdered Sugar (I used 1/4 cup)
Grand Marnier (I used 1 Tbls)
Marsala Wine (I used 1 Tbls)

Cake layer:
Store bought Angel Food Cake

Slice strawberries & combine with raspberries, sugar (to taste), a couple tablespoons of Grand Marnier & Marsala. Let set until plenty of liquid has been created. Once berries are ready, combine ingredients for cream layer and beat until thick. Start layers with angel food cake cut in pieces to match your container. Drizzle berry juice and a layer of berries to saturate cake layer, then a layer of cream and continue in this fashion. I had three layers. You can't see the top berry layer because it's behind the ribbon and lid. This would have been great with a blueberry layer..staying in theme, but I didn't have any on hand.




We are taking our tiramisu to the Fireworks, so I did them in individual containers. You could do it in one big bowl and it would be just as pretty. The idea for the mason jars came from my friend Debbie. She has a great blog! Go check it out at Mountain Breaths.



Hope everyone has a safe, fun and RELAXING holiday!



Don't forget to join me next weekend (July 11th-12th) for a virtual Ice Cream Social Event. Bring your Ice Cream themed posts and link up!

14 comments:

PheMom said...

I love the idea of the tiramisu in jars - very pretty as are all the flowers! Happy 4th!

♥peachkins♥ said...

lovely Red ,white and blue flowers!!! Happy 4th of July!

A Grain of Salt said...

Suzy, what a great post. Always love your flowers and the berry tiramasu looks delicious! Enjoy the fireworks!

Carol said...

Great post, Suzy! Love all your red, whites, and blues! Beautiful! and a great dessert for the occasion! Looks terrific in the jars!

Happy 4th of July!

Anonymous said...

Yes, using jars for this dish was a touch of genius. They are so appetizing and beautiful, almost too good to eat. Almost. Plus, you've really educated me on flowers this morning. Thanks!

Anyway, I found you on TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren’t accepted there, I’d love to publish them. Visit my new site (below), it’s a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

Best,
Casey
Editor
www.tastestopping.wordpress.com

test it comm said...

Those terry tiramisus look really good!

Cathy said...

Beautiful garden photos, Suzy. Thanks for sharing. Happy 4th of July to you too.

Cynthia said...

Suzy, what a fabulous Fourth of July post!

Each picture is delightful.... I always enjoy seeing the "bouquet" parts of your blog. And your narrative is so clever. Amazing how much red and white and blue is in your garden (and combinations thereof). :)

Country Reflections said...

Your flowers are beautiful!! My clematis is blooming now too...I just love them!

Lisa said...

Berry tiramisu in jars looks amazing, and no doubt it's delicious! BTW, your photos are outstanding. Love the blue Hydrangeas! Need to get some..as mine remain white, sometimes pink..eh..lol

Foley said...

SUPER post!!! Love all the flowers and the vast assortment!

Cute mosaic also....

Marsha said...

I just love this red/white/blue post - such gorgeous flowers, vintage graphics and that dessert in a jar is the best! You share such beauty everyday ;)

Kathleen said...

WOW, that was great..such pretty flowers..and I love that mosaic..
Hope you had a great 4th!

Unknown said...

This was such a great idea - tiramisu in the jars - and it is delightful to look at as well. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin