Pages

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Flashback and Foodie Friday ~Christmas in July




In the words of my father...I need to "Think Cool". The Pacific Northwest is experiencing record high heat this week. 106° is hot enough when you live in the south and have the air running 24/7 & 365 days a year. But 106° in a house without air is just plain ridiculous!!!! Needless to say I haven't even gone near the stove or grill much less cooked anything. Even making a sandwich has me working up a sweat so there's been a lot of eating out and takeout going on in this household. So, this week I flashback to the days of winter (when I was whining about too much snow)and get in a chilly frame of mind! I know Jigs needs a reminder..he loves the snow! He turns into one big snowball too!


These days he's spending his days in front of the fan and getting misted under the sprinkler! Here he is savoring the crisp air.


I'm not so sure the birds appreciate it as much as Jigs does. But we keep them well fed so I don't think they suffer too much!



Even the hummy stuck around during all of the snow this winter.


My flowers aren't too happy right now..not sure they were any happier under this blanket :-) But ahhhh doesn't it look refreshing?


I love seeing all of the frosty tips



I'm not sure what's worse...getting in a car as hot as an oven and burning yourself on the seatbelt buckle...or facing the slick roads? Right now I'd take the roads...or stay at home and snuggle up on the couch!


Because if you get out in it..you just have to come home again! Looks like more snow in the distance...


Falling allll night long.....how I would love that right now!


I could bake Christmas goodies all day and cook all night instead of visiting Jack in the Box!


I had thought of showing some wintry fare like soup or stew but the thought of it had me breaking out in hives, so I figured

no-cook was the way to go. There is some microwaving involved but if the microwave is heating up your house I'd suggest you go buy a new one and get tested for microwave poisoning...um...don't worry. I just made that up!


These are two recipes that make an easy tasty addition to your holiday gift plates. The hardest part is the dipping and thats not too hard!

Oreo Truffles
  1. Using a blender or hand held mixer, mix Oreos and cream cheese together.
  2. Roll into walnut size balls.
  3. Chill for an hour.
  4. Melt approximately 3/4 package of white almond bark.
  5. Stick a toothpick in an Oreo ball and dip it in the melted white almond bark.
  6. Allow to harden on wax paper.
  7. Takes about 15 min.
  8. While waiting, melt about 1/4 package of chocolate almond bark.
  9. When Oreo balls are no longer sticky to the touch, decorate with drizzles of chocolate and white almond bark.
  10. I just use a sandwich bag with a tiny hole cut in one corner to drizzle the almond bark.
Martha Washington Balls
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 8 ounces sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 lbs powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups pecans, finely chopped
  • 1 (24 ounce) package sweetened flaked coconut
  • 1-2 packages chocolate bark
  1. Combine all ingredients except for chocolate bark.
  2. Refrigerate over night or until well chilled.
  3. Shape coconut mixture into walnut-size balls.
  4. Freeze until firm.
  5. Melt chocolate in microwave following package directions.
  6. Pierce balls with a tooth pick or wooden skewer, dip balls into chocolate.
  7. Lay on wax paper until set.
If it's warm whereever you are...take my Dad's advice (I'm trying to) and Think Coooooooooool!



If you have a flashback of any kind you'd like to share post your link below!



This is my Foodie Friday Contribution too! Go check out all of the foodie fun at Designs by Gollum!

13 comments:

Foley said...

Oh Suzy, you must be suffering alot to wish for snow!!!! How many times have you opened the freezer of the frig to stick your head in ?? lol

I hoping you are able to cool down soon..

The flashbck to your goodies I remember well!!

Poppedijne said...

Next week I will visit this blog again to think cool since we expect rather a hot week.Love the recipi for the oreo balls.I noted it down and will try it as soon as I get some oreo's. They are hard to find in Belgium you see!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I hope cooler weather is on the way soon, Suzy! 106 with no air conditioning - Yikes!

I love that picture of your street with the Christmas lights!

Hope to try those Oreo balls this holiday season :)

♥peachkins♥ said...

The Christmas Season makes me giddy and happy. I love Christmas on your street!

Joyce said...

Hear it is hot out in your area but those oreo balls are calling my name:) Stay cool my friend.
Joyce

Cynthia said...

Suzy, I had to smile when I opened your blog to snow. I hope the "Think Cool" mantra is working.

And I can definitely picture Jigs in front of a fan.

I hope your weather pattern changes sooner than later.

Great flashback I remember your Christmas goodies. I don't remember the Santa plate, though ... very cute.

Marsha said...

What a fun post! I don't know if I've seen the Christmas card shot before but it is so beautiful...your home was made for holiday decorating! I do remember the little frozen hummingbird well though...all these photos are great.

Maybe you should put a large bowl of ice in front of the fan and that would blow cool air for awhile...enough to maybe get you to sleep.

Unknown said...

We are actually experiencing almost fall like temps. I thought about getting a sweatshirt for my morning walk today, but it was just too nice to have the chill bumps! I hope you will join me at Diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com for Crock Pot Wednesdays. The details for that and the Mister Linky are already posted. The first giveaway item has been announced and you can expect the additional ones over the next few days. The date of the first event is August 5. Thanks for sharing.

Kathleen said...

OY! That is hot! Does the movie theater have AC, or the Mall, or Costco? If so, get thee there and chill out.
While you are in COSTCO get a durn A/C..Mike said they had 6000 BTU's for under a 100 bucks! You are worth it..
Oreo balls would be great with a cold glass of milk right now!
I don't remember them..maybe we were on cookie overload then!
COOL post, Suzy..
NOW GO GET THAT A/C!!!

Kathy Walker said...

That was so much fun! I so enjoyed the Christmas wonderland. The truffles are to die for....I am so making these! Thank you for sharing.

Carol said...

Good thinking, very cool post :)

Hope your heat wave broke, I'd much rather have snow!

I missed flashing back, I'll be back next Friday! Loved your flashback, it's been pretty hot and gross here, too!

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

We are having the most comfortable summer I ever remember. Didn't use the air conditioner till last weekend and I'm ready to turn it off today. Low heat, low humidity, we are lovin' this. Nice rememberance of winter.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Connie from Beverly Hills California said...

Wow!! The truffles look delicious. Thanks for sharing. Stop by when you can. Connie

Blog Widget by LinkWithin