Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Fava Beans!

Do you know Fava Beans? If you are like my husband you may only know them from an infamous line in the Silence of the Lambs. But they are very nice beans! Really! And one of the oldest foods in cultivation. Its been around for several thousand years. You may have also heard them called broad beans. I decided to grow a few in garden this year. Couldn't have been easier - you should try some.


I'll have to plant more plants next year to get a bigger yield. As you can see they look fat, but inside is full of fluffy fiberfill.


But I grew enough for a nice little pasta dish. I made about a third of the recipe below.

Capri Lemon Pasta
Adapted from Maria Elia's "The Modern Vegetarian"


1 1/4 cups heavy cream
Juice and zest of 2 lemons
1 pound fresh green beans, ends trimmed, cut into bite size pieces
1 pound fresh fava beans, shelled (or 5 1/2 ounces frozen fava beans or shelled edamame)
1 pound sugar snap peas
14-ounce pasta like fettucini
4 tablespoons mascarpone or fromage blanc
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium-low combine the cream and lemon zest. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.

Once the water has boiled, add the green beans, fava beans, pasta and peas. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the pasta is al dente. Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking water, then drain the pasta and produce.

Pour the warmed cream and lemon zest into the pasta cooking pot. Add the lemon juice, mascarpone or fromage blanc and reserved pasta cooking water. Return to a boil, then add the pasta and vegetables.

Add the Parmesan, salt and pepper. Toss well.

Makes 4 servings.

This is the local cheese I used



The few favas I grew had me wanting more, so I got some in my weekly veggie box - 5 pound this time. Its a labor intensive food - peeling the pod, blanching, then peeling the waxy coating off,


Then you can finally cook! This weekend I tried another great recipe. Made a great lunch - kind of a warm salad.

Warm Fresh Fava Bean Salad



adapted from this recipe at Tasty Trix blog - great photo tutorial showing how to shell favas

3-5 garlic cloves, minced
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3-4 plum tomatoes, quartered
6-8 ounces Greek feta, cubed
5 lbs fava beans, prepared in the manner described above
2 Tablespoons chopped black olives or olive salad
Shaved Parmesan to top
Salt & pepper, to taste

Combine the garlic and olive oil on very low heat in a deep skillet and allow the garlic to infuse the oil. Once fragrant, toss in the tomatoes and fava beans increase heat to medium-high for 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat, season and add feta & olives. Very filling!

Sharing a few summer images taken on 4th of July at Browns Point in Tacoma. Better late than never!


Joining in for Mosaic Monday at Little Red House this week.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Suzy, Over here in the Uk we know them as Broad Beans. I grow them every year. I love them!
Sue

A Garden of Threads said...

Wow, looks yummy. I have never eaten them, only scarlet runner beans.

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said...

Never had them, only know them from that movie, line, too :) But they do look delicious in your recipes, I'd love to try!
Nice mosaic, very pretty scenes, Suzy!

Barbara F. said...

I may have tasted them many years ago but don't remember the taste. They do remind me of that movie. Your dish looks fabulous. xo,

black eyed susans kitchen said...

They look great...I need to try them this year!

Pondside said...

I don't think I've ever bought them and I know I've never grown them. The recipe looks yummy, thought, so perhaps it's time to give them a try.

Foley said...

...I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti... LOL

Maybe that's why I have never had them..don't like liver!!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I've never had fava beans and the first thing that comes to mind is the same as Randy! I planted yellow wax beans this year and some critter ate them! Grrrr.

This sounds like a wonderful dish, Suzy.

Natasha in Oz said...

I just bought a packet of frozen broad beans the other day and didn't really know how to cook them so thank you SO much for this recipe!

Best wishes,
Natasha @ 5 Minutes Just for Me

Blog Widget by LinkWithin