Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Flashback Friday ~Sloppy Joes


This week for Flashback Friday I'm featuring a recipe that I've never posted before, but have been making for several years. Sloppy Joes! If you're looking for a fine gourmet recipe..this may not be the post for you. I would venture to say many of you already have a recipe in your head for this or at least have a store bought shortcut product that helps you put this on the table.

I always used one of those handy dandy mix packets but when I had a request for Sloppy Joes on night and found myself without my trusty packet I turned to a Ground Beef Cookbook put out by Taste of Home a few years back and tried their recipe. Over the years I've tweaked it slightly to our taste, but I can say this - I've never seen the need for the packet again!

My Sloppy Joes



Ingredients
  • 1 pound groud beef
  • 2-3 celebery ribs, sliced (optional or use celery salt)
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 cup water
  • 3/4 cup ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp garlic salt
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp Tony Chachere's Seasoning or other cajun spice mix (or salt/pepper to taste)
  • 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 6 to 8 hamburger buns
In a large saucepan, cook the beef, celery, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the next 12 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Spoon onto buns.

In my last post I showed some flowers that I had lost this past winter. How about a few shots of whats left :-)

Daylilies are taking over at the moment. I just adore this one. No idea what it's name is.



This is pretty sweet too


Even the old fashioned orange is pretty right about now
]

This red one is a very nice color


And a few here in the border


A cute little potentilla poking up above the blue hardy geranium.


This lychnis is out of control this year.




Etoile Violette clematis is one that blooms like crazy too.


The tall phlox is just starting to bloom.


I've got a lily or two


This veronica was tiny last year and I thought it was a low growing variety but it grew up!


One of my pots on the driveway. Love the geranium leaves!


Last year I had barely 10 tiny apples on my tree. This year *BANGO*. I'm sure I'm supposed to thin these or something but I don't have the heart for that.


Its Raspberry time!



Things are filling in around the pineapple fountain


My angel corner is getting really over grown. Who knew these plants would get so giant???


This is kind of cheating - I just bought it this past weekend, but lets just call it a fill in for some that I lost. Couldn't resist this pretty frilly coneflower.


Nasturtiums that live in my veggie garden


Red Bee Balm standing tall



This hydrangea is particularly blue! I love this stage...the yellow reminds me of the color of butter.


Hope you enjoyed the midsummer tour!



If you have a flashback of any kind that you'd like to add put your link below.


Joining in this week for:
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Flaunt Your Flowers at Tootsie Time

12 comments:

cherry said...

The sloppy joes & all of your flowers look yummy..
Hope you have a great weekend.
hugs from Savannah, Cherry

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said...

Very pretty tour, Suzy, your garden looks wonderful! Love the daylilies.
The Sloppy Joe's look great. I didn't even know they had packets for those, but your recipe sounds (and looks) delicious.

Darla said...

sloppy joes bring back lots of childhood memories for me! YOur flowers are gorgeous! I wouldn't mind having that out of control lychnis...beautiful.

Barbara F. said...

Sloppy Joes, mmmmm, haven't had that in ages. Your flowers and yard are beautiful I love your angel's corner. xo,

Mel_Cole said...

I love sloppy joe's. Your day lilies are pretty and your clematis are prolific this year.

Beth said...

Suzy, There's a lot to love about your garden: your daylilies, your hydrangea, your angel corner, your pineapple fountain. Do you eat your nasturtiums, Suzy? They look really pretty in a salad.
Blessings and hugs, Beth

Anonymous said...

Suzy- I always love your flower postings. Everything looks great.
Dahlianut

Autumn Belle said...

Yay, I learnt something new today - Sloppy Joes! Your garden is blooming with beautiful flowers in multi-colours. Love you lilies.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

There another comfort food that sounds really good to me right now!

Your garden is so beautiful, Suzy! It's been so hot here the weeds are getting the better of mine.

Kathleen said...

I haven't made sloppy joe's in ages, but I made them last week/DH says once every 15 years is enough! :) I like them, easy way to use up some ground beef.

Kathleen said...

Forgot to say your flowers are gorgeous, some many varieties!

Tootsie said...

I forgot to link in again!!!!
What a pretty post!!! Your photos are just lovely!
Once again I am just loving the tour of all the gardens that have linked in to my little party! I am so excited to visit each and every post...they are all so inspiring and I am NEVER disappointed! The creative gardens and colorful displays that I am lucky to see are inspirations that I would never have found had I not found each of the gardeners I see online! Thank you so much for sharing your garden with my Friday Flaunt this week...I do hope you will link in again soon!
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin