Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

~Welcome to the Ice Cream Social 2011~



Welcome to the 3rd Annual Ice Cream Social at Kitchen Bouquet! I look forward to this all year and can't believe the time has finally come to have y'all come into the parlor and share all your ice cream creations & posts.


I can't think of a better way to spend time with friends and family than to eat ice cream together! It's hard to not be happy and have a smile on your face when you are enjoying such a cool treat :-)


Hope you all enjoy the social as much as I know Iwill!


With so many wonderful things "Ice Cream" out there in the world its hard for me to narrow down my choices when it comes to choosing something to share for the social. This year I decided to recreate a couple of favorite store bought or Ice Cream Truck treats.



There are so many goodies now days in the freezer case!


But there are just some classics that stand the test of time


If you really want a challenge try your hand at this Frozen Treats ID Quiz at Slashfood. I failed miserably, but did get a few correct! If nothing else it will give you a few blasts from the past.
TAKE THE QUIZ

The history of ice cream treats and ice cream trucks is a little sketchy. The late 1800s saw the invention in Europe of such things as the Ice Cream Sundae & Ice Cream sodas.



There was also a European tradition of bicycle peddlers of ice cream at the turn of the 20th century and this was brought to the United States.


1904 saw the fabled introduction of the ice cream cone to America at the Worlds Fair.


In 1920 the Good Humor trucks started rolling.


1934 was the year the Eskimo Pie entered the scene.


1940 saw the opening of Dairy Queen.


And so many more things followed!



Today I am going to focus on a couple of my personal favorites - The Ice Cream Sandwich & The Nutty Buddy!

For a base for these two yummy treats, I started with an absolutely yummy Double Vanilla Ice Cream recipe.


I wanted to try and duplicate the flavor of the Dreyer's Double Vanilla I love so much and I think it came close.


Double Vanilla Ice Cream
From the Ice Cream Maker website

1 C milk

1/4 tsp salt

2/3 cup sugar

1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise

2 C cream

5 egg yolks

1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions
  1. Warm milk in a sauce pan.

  2. Mix in salt and sugar.

  3. Slice vanilla beans lengthwise and scrape the seeds from the beans with the tip of a sharp knife. Add the beans and the pod to the milk.

  4. Remove from heat, cover and allow to cool.

  5. Whisk the egg yolks.

  6. Gradually pour the milk into the egg yolks, beating constantly, then return mixture to the pan.

  7. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until custard thickens slightly and reaches about 80C (170F). Custard is ready when it coats the back of a spoon.

  8. Pour cream into a bowl. Set the bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice and set a sieve over the cream.

  9. Strain the custard into the cream and mix.

  10. Cool, stirring often.

  11. Add vanilla extract, mix well.

  12. Chill overnight, then transfer to ice cream machine.

With this ice cream I went on to make some really yummy ice cream sandwiches! Look at this 1905 Jersey Shore beach scene that has Ice Cream Sandwiches being sold for a penny a piece! You'll have to enlarge the picture by clicking on it in order to see the sign.


Ice Cream Sandwich
From Family Fun website


Ingredients
  • 1 stick margarine
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • Half-gallon carton vanilla ice cream (or homemade)
Instructions

    In a medium-sized bowl, cream the margarine and brown sugar (using margarine instead of butter and brown sugar instead of granulated sugar produces a chewy, soft cookie). Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then the vanilla extract.

    In a separate bowl, stir the cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add to the margarine mixture. Beat until well combined. Gather the dough into a ball and chill for at least 1 hour.

    Heat the oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/4-inch thick. Use a ruler and a sharp knife to cut out rectangular pieces. (I cut cookies to match the ice cream I molded in little pans)

    Transfer the cookie rectangles with a spatula to an ungreased baking pan. Makes patterns with fork tines.

    Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes or until set. Cool on a cooling rack.

    Meanwhile, cut rectangular blocks from the ice cream. To do this, peel back the half-gallon carton from the ice cream, and cut 1/2-inch-thick slabs that are roughly the dimensions of your baked cookies. Return the blocks to the freezer. (I used my homemade ice cream and patted it down in little pans that were the same size as the sandwiches I wanted.)

    Once the cookies have thoroughly cooled, place one ice cream block between two cookies. Trim the sides with a knife, wrap the sandwich in foil or plastic wrap, and freeze for several hours. Repeat until you have used all the cookies and ice cream. Makes enough dough for 6 large sandwiches.

In addition to the traditional sandwiches I couldn't help getting a little more creative.


For these sweet pink hearts I mixed some fresh strawberries with one of my new faves - Coconut Pineapple from Dreyers. Its really great and must be more like sherbet because its lower in fat than most!



Moving on to the Nutty Butty! Ahhh I have such nice memories of buying and eating Nutty Buttys while visiting my grandparents & my Auntie Gussie on my Dad's side. I can't even remember the name of the little store we would go to to buy them, but I can picture it in my head as just a tiny little place. I'm sure there were other things to chose from but Nutty Butty was my pick. Although I haven't seen them in years I found that they are still being made by the Purity company.


Here's a close up of what they look like. The one on the left is the traditional Nutty Buddy!


Here is the way it came packaged. You would pull the top off and then peel back the paper.




Per the ever handy dandy Wikipedia, the "Nutty Buddy" was originally created and produced by Seymour Ice Cream Company, which was located in the Port Norfork section of Dorchester, Mass. and named after its owner, Buddy Seymourian. Seymour Ice Cream ceased operations in the 1980s.

I followed the directions found at This Charming House blog.

Nutty Buddys

What You'll Need
Sugar Cones
Ice Cream, softened
Crushed Nuts or Sprinkles
Smuckers Magic Shell
Wax or parchment paper
Scissors
Tape

What To Do
Set up your cones on an upside down egg crate or in a bowl full of rice. Shake the Magic Shell well, and pour a bit around the rim of the cone and swirl (you may need to use your finger) to create a thin coating on the inside of the cone. Then pour a generous bit into the bottom of the cone. Put them in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Wrap your cones in paper, and cut tops to about 2" above the edge of the cone. Fill them up with the soft ice cream to about an inch above the top of the cone. I used this nifty parchment/foil that Martha Stewart puts out.


Put them back in the freezer to firm up (about 1 hour). Add some Magic Shell on top of the cones & quickly add chopped nuts or sprinkles.




Put them back in the freezer for a few hours until firm. Enjoy!!!



I was pretty excited by how they came out! The taste was really close and the look was pretty dead on except I'm not sure how they get they chocolate to drip down the sides!

Can't wait to see what all of you have to share! Any ice cream related posts are welcome. Please add a link to your post mentioning the Ice Cream Social so that we can all enjoy each others posts! The Social will be going on all weekend so don't worry about being late to the party. In fact I will keep the linky open until the end of the month. Thanks for coming to this year's Social!






Please also take the time to visit A Musing Potpourri's Ice Cream Social on Sunday!

I'm also adding my link to the following this week:
Sweets for Saturday at Sweet as Sugar Cookies
Weekend Cooking at Beth Fish Reads
Fat Camp Friday at Mangoes and Chutney
Sunday Scoop at I [heart} Naptimes
This Week's Cravings at Moms Crazy Cooking

43 comments:

Becky said...

I've never tried making Nutty Buddy before, so thanks so much for the recipe. I know some people at my house who will be thrilled! And thanks so much for hosting the social again this year.

Søren said...

The trick to getting the chocolate to drip down the sides is to pour the soft ice cream into the cone with a piping bag with a star-shaped nozzle/tip. That means you won't get a flat top, but will have groves down the side, which will then fill up with the chocolate and create the "pattern" of chocolate. Dead-simple, and it looks great.

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

I'm glad you chose my two childhood favorites! Not sure why, but I LOVED biting the bottom of the nutty butty cone off :-) The joys of childhood! Great job Suzy, and thank you for hosting again this year.

Maggie said...

Hi Suzy,
Joining you for ice cream today and looking forward to trying your great recipes soon.
Love all the vintage images that you shared.
Have a great Ice Crem Weekend!
Thanks for hosting,
Maggie @ Normandy Life

Lynn said...

You did a great job Suzy, I'll have one of each please! The Nutty Buddy is really fun. Love the Jersey Shore pic:@)

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

So fun to be joining in on this Ice Cream Social! Love your post and the favorite ice cream recipes. We are passionate about ice cream here and some of us (no names mentioned) might even be a bit selfish when it comes to Nutty Buddy's. :)

I love the Jersey shore pic too!

Terri Steffes said...

Happy to join again this year!

I loved the old time photos of the ice cream shops. I was able to purchase the cookie tops for ice cream sandwiches at my local Dutch market. I can't wait to use them.

Loved hearing about your favorites!

Vee said...

We enjoy Nutty Buddies a few times a year. The cost is outrageous. They sell two for $5 or $3 apiece at the little Mom and Pop store where we are able to find them. Yours really did come out nice. Good tips for making them as well. Love the cone in rice idea.

Thank you for the great hospitality here. I'm off to visit...

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a fun post! I love the ads and photos! Looks like we're all ready for a fun weekend! I'm joining in, too! Thanks! ♥

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Suzy, I love the old photos! The Advanced Refrigeration and Wanted Ad are two of my favorites. I had to laugh at the one in the ad looking for 'a competent girl'!

Nutty Buddy's were a favorite of mine when I was a kid. I can't wait to try those. They really did turn out great!

Always a fun party, Suzy! Thanks so much for hosting.

Beth said...

Fun post, Suzy! Thanks for sponsoring the social and your creations look great. Excellent job duplicating the Nutty Buddy! (We used to call them "drumsticks.")
Happy Day to You!
Beth

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said...

Always a great party post, Suzy, you outdid yourself this year with sandwiches and nutty buddies! Fantastic :)

Foley said...

Way to go girl! Fantastic post, loved the old photos and history. Your nutty buddy and sandwiches turned out perfect, I bet Rnady was looking forward to this ice cream social :)
I will post something tomorrow!!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

What a fun post! Now I want ice cream!

Joy Weese Moll said...

Love this quick journey through the history and variety of ice cream!

Lorraine said...

Hi thank you for the link up! I love ice cream and I love your post with the old-time photos and great recipes which I know my family will love:)

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

What a great post! I love how those Nutty Buddies turned out! I still struggle making custard. The eggs make me nervous and cause me grief. I'll get it one of these days.

Jacqueline said...

My hubby wil be solo excited when I surprise him with the NuttyBuddies! He loves them. I so wanted to join the party but was out of town. We made 3 ice creams this week too!

La said...

Looks like you are ready to break out your bicycle sell these dlicious looking frozen treats. The nutty buddies look particularly tasty.

Thanks for linking up to my ice cream social. Have a great weekend! La

Barbara F. said...

Hi Suzy, I came along to join the ice scream social, from La's social at A Musing Potpourri. Wow, these all look incredible! I have to take my time and look at each one again. xo

caite said...

I love Nutty Buddys but never thought of making my own. You could add all sorts of things and making them in differnet flavors. I see those in my near future!!

Red Couch Recipes said...

Thanks for the nostalgia, I can't but think how exciting it must have been to get ice cream in the old days! Loved your heart sandwiches and the nutty buddies. Joni

Slice of Pie said...

This was a great idea for a party! I've enjoyed your post ... and looking at the other posts, too! Thanks for sharing.

sheila @ Elements said...

I love all the ice cream recipes!!! I could go for a bowl of that vanilla ice cream right now! And your ice cream sandwiches are darling! :) Those heart shaped ones are so cute...and so are the cones! :)

I'm so happy to be a part of the ice cream social, and I'm looking forward to clicking on all the ice cream recipes to get more ideas! (I'm out of ice cream at the moment and ready to make some more!)

Have a great weekend! sheila

MsFoxsSweets said...

Thanks for inviting me over! I love looking at all of the old photos. This Ice Cream Social is such fun! I have linked up my 2 Ice Cream cupcakes :)

Tins and Treasures said...

Good Morning, Suzy,
Thank you for hosting such a lovely party on such a hot day. I added a recipe for an ice cream treat that I had posted a couple of years ago. However, I wanted to let you know that I also included your logo and link on my blog today, so folks can find my recipe and your party. Stop over for a visit!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. ~Natalie

Julie said...

Thanks so much for hosting this fun Ice Cream social! Can't wait to read the recipes. Happy Sunday.

Marsha said...

Suzy, I really enjoyed this post! I love the vintage poster photos and your wonderful ice cream treats. I have never heard of "Nutty Buddys" it must be a regional brand and name. Up north we have a very similar looking cone called a Drumstick :)

Natasha in Oz said...

What a yummy post! Even though we are in the middle of winter here I am craving ice cream right about now! I will be referring back to this post for lots of recipes as soon as it starts getting warmer here.

Thanks for hosting.

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Cynthia said...

Fabulous post, Suzy, I love all your nostalgic pictures and your ice cream history trivia.

Your Dreyer's carton looks exactly like our Edy's carton ... must be the same company. Glad you were able to replicate the flavor. But, I'm in awe of your Nutty Buddies; they are perfect looking and I bet they tasted really good too.

Beth F said...

I too am in total awe of your Nutty Buddies. Wow!!!! I must participate next year -- I was out of town the last few days and just ran out of time when it came to making ice cream.Sign me up for next year!

laxsupermom said...

What fun! Those homemade Nutty Buddies are amazing! Thanks for sharing and for hosting this fun party.

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING said...

We are hosting an ICE CREAM theme linky party as well this week! We'd love to have you come on by and link this delicious ice cream treat.

Hope to see you there, Thanks a million!
http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/07/this-weeks-cravings-38-linky-party-ice.html

Trisha said...

Your version of the nutty buddy looks perfect, I've never made those at home. I love the ice cream sandwiches too. Thanks for hosting such a fun event and letting me be a part of it. Looking forward to next year!

Kathleen said...

I think I love the pic of all the little girls eating ice cream! So cute.
Those cones look fabulous!

Rettabug said...

Hi Suzy!

Although I didn't get my act together in time to participate in your ice cream social, I'm really enjoying seeing all your ideas & recipes as well as all the other participants. Its a cute idea! Maybe I'll be able to join in next year!

fondly,
Rett

Alexandrea said...

WOW!! This is one of the coolest blog articles EVER!! WAY FUN!! So much of that article brought back fond memories :) Thank you for that. I'm new to the blogging world and sure look forward to all you other posts!! Happy summer!! :D

Jobiden said...




Molkki is new indian darama on es tv which is very popular
tv in india and neighboring countries like bangladesh siri lanka
pakistan and nepal

Molkki online

Rocky said...

Online kaj is bangladesh tech blog,Here you will find all kind of tech and blogging related content for example: How to start a blog ..

Check Out 100% Original Rate All Categories Phone, Tablet, Gadgets, mobile price bd Full Specifications, Review At this site.

anik said...

worldtechnologyupdates
worldtechnologyupdates
worldtechnologyupdates
worldtechnologyupdates

imran khan said...

You made some nice points there. I looked on the internet for the subject matter and found most individuals will agree with your site. Can you review my blogs and give some tips regarding them.

cricmazza said...

Your post is very useful and mouth-watering, thanks for this post. I cricmazza know more

Anonymous said...

Midnight espresso cabinets are a popular choice for kitchen design because of their rich, dark color and sleek, modern design. The color, a deep and dark shade of brown, can add a sense of warmth and sophistication to a kitchen, and can complement a variety of countertops and backsplashes. The design of the cabinets is often simple and understated, with clean lines and a minimalist look, giving them a contemporary feel. Additionally, the durability and long-lasting construction of these Midnight espresso cabinets ensures that they will continue to look great for years to come. They are a good option for those who want to add a touch of luxury and elegance to their kitchen while maintaining a modern aesthetic.



Blog Widget by LinkWithin