Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Making Room in the Freezer

I spent an hour or so cleaning out my kitchen freezer last weekend This is always an enlightening passtime. No matter what kind of soup I make, I always make too much and I usually freeze the left overs so that I have something quick to get on the table on a work night. Actually not a bad plan although I never intend to make enough for an army. I forget sometimes it's just the two of us! I found a few of these soups in my clean out process. One of them turned into dinner tonight. I wish I had a real recipe to share, but I don't think I really followed one when I made this. I do recall seeing a recipe by this name that sounded good at the time, but I didn't have all of the ingredients that were called for so I came up with my own. Upon close inspection I think I can at least give you a guess of what's in it! I served it with Deli Rye Bread made from the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day book....mmmmmmmmmmm.





Pumpkin Lentil Soup
a rough guide

pumpkin
beef broth
dry lentils
canned black beans
sliced fresh mushrooms
carrots
barley
red bell peppers
cumin
red pepper
salt
pepper

11 comments:

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Oh how I love finding frozen soup tucked away in my freezer. Always hits the spot months later. I like the ingredients in your soup Suzy.

Cynthia said...

Suzy, sounds like a hearty soup. And the Deli Rye sounds delicious.

We love rye .... I wasn't aware you could make rye using the Artisan in 5 minute recipe.

I always make too much soup, too. It DOES come in handy.

Foley said...

Hmmm, mystery soup! Sounds good and filling..I still haven't tried any of the Artisian bread, on must do list!

Greg said...

Hi Suzy! Congratulations for appearing on Foodgawker. Well deserved for this wonderful post.

Kathleen said...

Yes, congrats, Suzy!
My freezer..The Discovery Channel..
Never know what will show up!..
but yes, great to have surprise dinner to zap!

pepsakoy said...

Interesting ! I've never tried lentil for my cooking..it seems to be the next thing I'd like to play with...

Yours has a few ingredients that I like..I'm keen to give it a try !

Thanks for your commment on my blog anyway.

A Grain of Salt said...

That looks so good, Suzy! We had soup from the freezer tonight. No bread though!

Sue said...

Hi...thanks for stopping by my blog today...I see you bake Artisian bread...I love Zoe. she is so helpful when it comes to bread baking disasters...I love her...and nice to meet you I hope you stop back again...Sue in Atlanta

Marsha said...

The soup flavors sound good to me. I should really try that Ain5 bread. I know you have raved about it before.

Suzy said...

Thanks everybody. The soup hit the spot last night.

Debbie, I agree. I always try to remember to freeze extra food.

Cynthia there is a Deli Rye recipe in the book. I can share the recipe if you'd like.

Barb and Marsha, you need to try. It's so easy. I was always scared of bread, but this take the hard part out of the equation.

Thanks Greg and Kathleen!

Pepsakoy, give the lentils a try. They cook more quickly than other dry beans. Thanks for stopping by.

Jayne what kind was yours?

Hi Sue and thanks for stopping by...nice to meet you as well. I totally agree about Zoe. She emailed me once and was very friendly and encouraging. I love the book too!

Anonymous said...

I came across a pumpkin chili recipe not too long ago, but pumpkin lentil sounds pretty tasty too :).

Blog Widget by LinkWithin