Pages

Monday, February 2, 2009

Skinny Buffalo?

I was going to do these Buffalo Bites for the Super Bowl, but I decided I had too much as it was and held off until today to try these. I improvised after reading through a few recipes and came up with this "light" Buffalo Wings wannabe. They have all of the flavor and wayyyy fewer calories than the originals. Randy enjoyed them, so he is my gauge as to whether non-dieting people would still like them. He did say they made him sweat.......which means they were HOT!




Suzy's Buffalo Bites

1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast chopped into bite size pieces (I use one of those monster flash frozen ones)
1/2 cup Egg beaters, or 3-4 lightly beaten egg whites
1 jar Franks Red Hot Wings Sauce Buffalo Flavor (this is the Wings sauce...not the Hot Sauce..there's a difference so pay attention)
3/4 cup panko crumbs
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

Heat oven to 425°. Put egg beaters in a shallow bowl. Add a tablespoon of Frank's sauce to the egg beaters. Mix well. Mix crumbs, flour, cornstarch and garlic salt in another bowl. Dip chicken pieces in egg mixture, covering well, then dip and roll around in the crumb mixture. Don't be chintzy..cover the pieces up well. This will provide the "fried" texture. Now you can do one of two things. I placed the dipped chicken on a Pam sprayed pan and then poured the sauce over the pieces to cover. Don't use the whole bottle and if you do you will regret it...this stuff is HOT. Besides you will want to save some to pour on the pieces when they get out of the oven. I think you could probably also dip the crumb coated pieces in a bowl of the red hot sauce then put on the waiting pan. I'll try that next time. Either way you do it bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until crumbs begin to brown. Remove from the oven then pour a little more of the sauce over to cover the bites completely. Serve with Bleu Cheese dressing or Ranch dressing with a few celery stalks hand. The celery helps with the heat!!

10 comments:

Carol said...

Suzy, I LOVE THE BLOG! Perfectly you, too, food and flowers! and fun :) I'm enjoying catching up with you!

a quiet life said...

suzy your blog is darling, congrats, now you will have your very own home to shine for fg/ts!

Suzy said...

Thanks Jain I was making a quiet debut :-)

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Suzy, I didn't know you had gone public with your blog! It's charming :)

Last time I tried to log on via your Blog Id it was still private.

Beautiful bouquet header!

Marsha said...

I can't believe I am the last one to the party:-) I didn't know you findly went public either but I am so HAPPY you did! I love your style, postings and the blogs beautiful floral header. I look forward to visiting daily! Great job!

Cynthia said...

Beautiful bouquet header ....

I'm glad you're blogging.

Hope we get to see your Goodwill finds (and more of Jigs)....

A Grain of Salt said...

Hi Suzy! Hey, somebody let me know about your sweet blog... I've already got you on my blog list. I know I'll enjoy each and every post you make!

Suzy said...

Thanks girls! Hope y'all don't think I was being secretive. I was just being quiet and practicing a bit :-) I still had (and) have some housekeeping to do, but I'm glad y'all have found me!

Anonymous said...

I love Buffalo wings and this recipe looks delicious.

Suzy said...

Thanks Sara..we enjoyed them!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin