Pages

Monday, February 23, 2009

Mardi Gras Madness



I'm kind of late to my own party....we already have a few who've kicked things off. Remember to look at the bottom of the post for links to other cool bloggers who are celebrating Mardi Gras with me. And if you have anything Mardi Gras to share please link up with us! It's been a busy busy day and I haven't sat down for more than a few minutes at a time, but I have been trying to spread my celebrating over the weekend so let's get started!!

Throw me something Mister!!!!


How about we start with a little brunch. New Orleans is famous for their brunches and if you ever get the chance you've got to try it. There are a lot of places that do it..many, many, many. Court of Two Sisters is one I've been too. The food is great and so much variety it would make your head spin. My little brunch is pretty tame comparatively. Cheese & Ham grits...John Folse's Cat's Head biscuits and your basic scrambled eggs.


Celebrating (for anything) in Louisiana is all about the food..and drinks! I thought you might like to see 3 Louisiana made products I really wouldn't want to be without. I put Tony's on everything.




So on to the main course! If I was back home in Louisiana I would have been eating some barbecue...probably a little bit of everything..ribs, hamburgers, maybe some chicken. But it was a rainy rainy day here so I did a rainy day Monday kind of thing...Red Beans and Rice.




And it wouldn't be Mardi Gras without a little King Cake and this time I really do mean LITTLE. Instead of one big one I made three babies!


I used a Southern Living recipe that I really like.





Thanks for joining me for Mardi Gras! One more day to party!

Post anything related to Mardi Gras..food..fun or otherwise on your blog and link up below! This is my first try with Mr. Linky so bear with me!




Mardi Gras Madness Participants
1. Debbie
2. A Grain of Salt
3. Dishesdone
4. Susan
5. CuisineKathleen
6. Marsha
7. Foley (Barb)

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.

24 comments:

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Thank you for hosting Suzy!

A Grain of Salt said...

Yes, thanks for hosting Suzy! I'll be back later with my link... my first King Cake!

Marsha said...

Looking forward to joining in tomorrow!

Suzy said...

Thanks for the great posts Debbie and Jayne!! Looking forward to seeing what you have put together Marsha. I guess I need to put a little preview up on mine.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I have something up my sleeve - I hope it turns out. If it's a failure you will have a flashback ;)

Carol said...

Thanks for hosting, Suzy! I couldn't make the takeout and I couldn't find a King cake so far, but I managed to contribute some recipes! Thanks for the hosting the party! Always a fun time with you girls :)

Let the good times roll :)

Kathleen said...

I'll be here, for sure, and thanks for hosting!

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Suzy, you'll be proud of me. I have two of your staples - the creole seasoning which I received in a CF swap, and tabasco! I want to do brunch now! Everything looks so good!

Marigene said...

Thanks for the party, Suzy! The king's cake are my favorites.

A Grain of Salt said...

Suzy, I knew your's would be top notch. Being a Southern girl, you do it up right. Wish I were celebrating with you in real life...it all looks so good! Cool accessories too! Thanks for hosting this very fun event!

Cynthia said...

Suzy, super post..... How sweet of you to host the event.

I've have dinner at Antoine's and brunch at Brennan's, but my favorites are the little hole in the wall gumbo shops in the alleys of the French Quarter and rundown places outside town that served the best shrimp that I've ever had.

I love red beans and rice and yours really looks tasty.

Your King Cakes are beautiful... great idea to make 3 instead of one big one. Are you sharing them?

Festive, fun post, you definitely captured the spirit of New Orleans.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

What a great post, Suzy! You've brought back many fond memories of New Orleans.

Kathleen said...

Loved the post, Suzy...I have never been to La..looks like a fun time...
Your brunch looks delicious!
You threw a great party!

Carol said...

Love the post, too, Suzy! I have the Tony Cachere's, too. and the cookbook, my folks brought it back on their trip to New Orleans a couple years back. I should have looked in the book!

Great party!

Cindy said...

Suzy, great idea making the baby cakes! I didn't bake one this year ... bought an Italian cream cheese from Calandro's. Mike ate most of it ... fortunately!

I did decorate a tree this year. No blog to post a pic.

Foley said...

Suzy - Super post!! that is the same creole seasoning I used on the skewers!

Do I want to know why the biscuits are called 'Cat's Head Biscuits' ???

I remember fondly The Court of Two Sisters ... beautiful outdoor dining.

Thank you so much for histing this fun fun Mardi Gras!!

Suzy said...

Thanks everybody for coming to the party!!! I loved all of your posts (for those of you that have blogs) and appreciate all of your comments.

I am very proud of all of you that have some Tony's. There are other good blends out there too, but that's the one I grew up with. Tony Chachere is from just a few miles from where both my parents grew up. He put out a great cookbook too.

Thanks for stopping by Marigene and Cindy *waving* Cindy you should post a pic on GB. I still come by!

Can't wait til St. Patty's!

Sara said...

All of the food in the pictures looks so delicious!

Annie said...

Nice of you to start the Mardi Gras party, Suzy! I thank Cindy for introducing me to the fun way back a few years ago! Your cakes are beautiful and I also have Tony's seasonings in my house, but I haven't seen the roux, but I'll be looking for it now that I know about it. I'm heading south next week and know just where to shop for it.

Suzy said...

Thanks Sara and Annie!

Annie if you're going to Louisiana you should be able to find it at any grocery store. Maybe in the surrounding state too...just not sure. It sure is a time saver!

Unknown said...

Your whole spread looks amazing!! I wanted to make mine a whole day thing, but to be quite honest... I'm too lazy. lol I love that you included a picture of the 3 things that are in any good Louisiana cook's kitchen- I have all of them in my kitchen right now, and have been hoarding them since my mom sent them to me. :-D

Anonymous said...

These look so cute mini :)!

E. Lee said...

Hi all! Don't mean to horn in on your fun, but I do love me some King Cake and enjoyed looking at the photos! (Though I have to say, the Tony's Light is my fave....you can powder everything bright pink with that stuff and you never OD on the salt). I dunno how to link up w/my Mardi Gras link, but I posted the Gumbo Shop's Chicken Andouille Sausage Gumbo Recipe (won Best Gumbo in the Gambit about a million times) and I want to share it w/you! Here's the link:

http://baconconcentrate.blogspot.com/2009/02/gumbo-shops-chicken-andouille-sausage.html

Suzy said...

Thanks Tia, Sophie and E. Lee! Hope you all had a great Mardit Gras. Thanks for the recipe..looks great.

Tia I horde my stuff too. I have let wonderful Louisiana smoked sausage go bad in my freezer because I keep waiting for just the right recipe to use it in!! How silly can I be lol.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin