Pages

Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Leftovers and a Surprise!



The leftovers were as good as the main meal. This ham I bought was so moist and smoked really well. Great flavor! The only thing I did was make a little glaze for the last 30 minutes of pineapple juice and brown sugar. I thought it looked kind of like a Christmas tree!



Besides the ham there were Candied Yams, Luscious Potato Casserole, Swiss chard,Leeks and tomatoes, pineapples and cherries, plus deviled eggs. I also made rolls..they were sad. I have tried twice with Randy's mom's recipe and failed both times. I know exactly what I did wrong each time, so maybe third time will be the charm. They were more like biscuits :-)


The Luscious Potato Casserole is a recipe my former sister-in-law Cathy used to make. It's rich and fattening but oh so good. Definitely not an everynight dish but worth a try

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Luscious Potato Casserole

8 medium size potatoes, boiled with skin on (Chill overnight or at least cool)
1 lg can evaporated milk
1 stick margarine
1/2 lb velveeta or other cheese
1 tsp salt
1 medium onion, chopped
Sour cream
bacon bits

Slice cooled potatoes and place in a buttered 9x13 casserole dish. Put milk, margarine, salt, cheese and onions in a sauce pan and cook on medium until cheese and margarine is melted. Pour this mixture over potatoes and bake for 30 mins at 375°. You may have to cover if begins to brown to quickly. Take potatoes out of the oven and spread with just enough sour cream to cover top. Sprinkle with bacon bits. Bake for another 10 minutes. Allow to cool at least 5 minutes before serving.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't remember where I got my Candied Sweet Potato recipe, but they always cook up perfectly.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Candied Sweet Potatoes
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
dash salt
3-4 medium sweet potatoes
2 Tbls butter
1/8 tsp vanilla (optional)

Mix sugar, water and salt. Stir until sugar is almost dissolved. Place on top of stove on high heat. Peel potatoes, slice in half then slice in 3 or 4 pieces. Put potatoes in sugar mixture. Cook on high heat 10 mins and then on med-high for 20 mins or until tender. Cook uncovered and juice will thicken. Add butter when syrup has cooked down about half. Add vanilla when just about done. I eat them at this point, but you can put them in a casserole and sprinkle with 2-3 tsps more sugar and broil for about 5 mins or until browned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I have very sad news....I did NOT win the pocking contest!!! Shocking I know. Randy was the champion again. He is just lucky!!!


I thought I had a perfect strategy, but he wouldn't fall for it. I had the perfect egg that was a sure winner.


Somehow he just didn't think it was fair for me to pock with a marble egg :-)
I'm still admiring my tie dyed eggs. I wonder how long I can keep them around without them stinking??


So what's the big surprise????? I won something! And I won something good. I mean REALLY good. Sara of Sara's Kitchen had a give away this week. All I had to do was comment about my favorite vacation. I said it was the vacation I spent in Spain when I was a teenager. I've had other great vacations, including the one I took with Randy and my family a couple of years ago to Disney World but that Spain trip was unforgettable. Anyways, for doing nothing more than leaving my comment I was chosen randomly as the winner of a $25 See's Candies gift certificate!!!! How cool is that?? I have been perusing the website (Click here) dreaming of the chocolates I will choose. They even have the option of putting together a custom box. Now that's an idea I love. Thank you to both Sara (who by the way has an awesome blog) and the nice people at See's! I'll share what I get when I do! I have my eye on this little gem. It has my name written all over it.

In case your wondering its called Almond Truffle Dark chocolate buttercream with ground almonds ...ohhhhh mmmm doesn't that sound yum?????

So here's another little surprise. Here's my little mophead last night. He had no clue what today held for him. He looks so relaxed and unaware...maybe even a little clueless!



And today a new dog! Isn't he cute in his little kercheif? He is pooped tonight. He is used to lounging around all day and I'm sure he wasn't able to do that at the puppy salon. The beauty regimen can be exhausting! Not to mention all of those other dogs around that he has to keep an eye on.




We've been so rainy here this week it's been hard to enjoy the spring flowers. This coming week it's suppose to be much better though so I hope to get out and about a little more. I did snap a few shots today though.

I was excited about my first camella bloom. Really my first. I haven't had any bloom before this year. They remind me of home :-)



English Wallflower


And a couple of tulips


10 comments:

Bernie said...

Oh Suzy I so enjoy your blog. Your receipes sound wonderful and I am going to try my potatoes as you have done. Congratulations on your award, well done, well deserved.. I also love the wallpaper you use on your blog, I am a new blogger but I will learn and perhaps some day I will have one as pretty as yours. Pink is my favorite color. Hugs:)

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Suzy, congratulations again on being a winner of See's! I love your enthusiasm, and you are most deserving. How fun that you get to choose what you want, and even a personalized touch. I know our guys would enjoy your Luscious Potato Casserole.

Mr. Jigs is too precious sporting his new "do". He looks very relaxed after a stressful day :-)

Lucky you to have a camela bloom! Your garden is always sporting something lovely.

Better luck with being a pocking champion next year!

A Grain of Salt said...

Hi Suzy, this is a great post! Your meal looks so good! Darn, I was pulling for you in the pocking contest. Yea, for winning the See's. And look at little Jigsy... he looks exhausted from his beauty parlor day, but very cute!

Cynthia said...

Suzy, thanks for the Luscious Potato Casserole recipe ... you're correct, not an every night dish, but one I will definitely make.

Congrats on winning the See's gift certificate; it couldn't have gone to a nicer person.

Sorry Randy won the pocking contest, but I'm sure you both had fun.

And most importantly, Jigs looks quite handsome, such a bright and shiny coat. What a face!

Carol said...

LOL, don't save those eggs too long, and definitely don't hide them in a back pack for safe keeping like my kid did!

Sorry Randy won, but you definitely had the prettier egg :)

Congrats on the See's! I'd go with the one you have your name on, looks so good!

All pretty flowers!

Jigs looks handsome, but pooped!

The ham dinner looks so good!

Marsha said...

What a fun post from beginning to end! Your easter meal looks so fun and decadent. I need to try the potatoes, both the casserole and the candied sweet. I can tell you are a southern gal ;) Speaking of southern gals...how could a northern boy beat at pocking? I was sure you had this one! Jigs is such a cutie with his new summer cut too. What beautiful spring flowers you have - it's going to be a wonderful year following your gardens now that you have a blog...I look forward to it!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

First of all, condolences on the egg pockiing but congratulations on the See's win! I can tell by Randy's grip on that egg that it could be his secret ;)

Jigs looks like a new (but very tired) dog!

The bunnies are eating my tulips this year :( Your garden is looking grand. A camelia - wow!

I'm going to copy those recipes - thank you!

Foley said...

Already copied the potato recipe...

Well, again you can tell how worldly I am - I will have to google what the heck a pocking contest is !!!

Your garden makes me so jealous...I love all the blooms..I just have some green stubs coming up now...

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Suzy, congrats! Just found you on FG!

Cathy said...

Often, when I prepare a large dinner, I enjoy the leftovers most. And your potato dish earns its name...luscious. Lovely flowers photos too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin