Pages

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Flashback and Foodie Friday ~Easter Traditions


For this weeks Flashback we have a little Easter fun from last year. There is an Easter game common to south Louisiana that is played after the Easter egg hunt is over and all of the boiled eggs have been collected. I think it might have been invented to encourage people to crack their pretty eggs instead of admiring them in their baskets.


The game goes like this. Each person picks an egg they think will be the toughest. Then you walk around challenging people to egg pocking (or knocking as it is called in some areas). One person holds their egg with the pointy end up and the other person holds theirs with the pointy end down.


The person with the egg pointing down hits the egg pointing up and tries to crack it.



Whichever egg remains uncracked is the winner of that round and that person goes to challenge another person and so on and so on until only one egg is standing! Presenting last year's winner....I WILL win this year...



Some towns even have egg pocking contests on Sunday morning! Here's an article to read about one such event. They call it knocking..but somewhere in the article it talks about some areas calling it pocking. They think maybe pock came from Pacques..or easter in French.

Easter Dinner last year was traditional and classic. I even used my Mom's pastel square plates that I smuggled out of the house at some point. There were 4 - pink, green, blue and yellow. The green one has long since bit the dust, but I try to protect the other 3. I think they must be from the 50s but I'm not sure. I'll have to ask my Mom. I think we also had green been casserole but it hadn't made it onto the plate when I snapped this shot. Easter dinner this year will be more of the same!



And it wouldn't be flashback Friday if I didn't also through in a garden flashback! The day after Easter last year I went for a drive to a local bulb farm and snapped these shots. Maybe I will make that a tradition!












Thanks for stopping by for Flashback Friday! If you want to post a Flashback Friday of your own you can use this logo or just link back to my blog if you want (or not!). It's just for fun and a great thing for lazy bloggers like me!



Today is also Foodie Friday over at Designs by Gollum. She hosts a virtual potluck every Friday. Go check out what every one else brought! Foodie Friday

13 comments:

Kathleen said...

I forgot about the pocking..I remember you told us about that last year! Very interesting..and your dinner looks good too.
The flowers are beautiful..
Happy Easter, dear Suzy!
I hope you win this year!

Cathy said...

Hi Suzy - I've never heard of your egg game. Sounds like fun. Your Easter dinner looks delish. We always have the same menu, nobody wants to change it.

Happy Easter to you and your family.

imjacobsmom said...

Hey, that sounds like a fun thing to do and I'm going to have an egg pocking competition here! Happy Easter! ~ Robyn

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I had never heard of egg pocking until you told us about it a year o two ago, Suzy. I think it's a wonderful, fun tradition. I think you should keep the bulb farm tradition going too :) What a cheery place!

Carol said...

I remember the pocking game from when you told us about it! I love tradition! Looks like fun!

Easter dinner looks great, too! Pretty, pretty flowers!

Happy Easter to you and Randy and Jigs :)

I hope you have the tough egg this year!

Wanda..... said...

You have a wonderful Blog...so glad I found it...am now a follower.

Cynthia said...

Wonderful Flashback Friday, Suzy ... I'd forgotten about the egg pocking. Thanks for the article.

Visiting the bulb farm sounds like a wonderful tradition.

Chandy said...

That sounds like a great game! I think we'll try that this year! Thank you and Happy Easter! I'd love to see some bulb flowers in a big garden like that.

Bernie said...

I found your blog through another blogger friend, Wanda, and I so agree with her. You do have a lovely blog and I have enjoyed reading it this evening. Happy Easter to you and your family:) Bernie

Lori (All That Splatters) said...

Your meal looks delicious,and the flowers are gorgeous! Love it all!

A Grain of Salt said...

Suzy, what a fun tradition! Good luck... I hope you win! Dinner last year looked very good. You know I always love the flowers you show.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Very pretty dinner - ya'll have fun!

Donna-FFW said...

What an awesome way to decorate your eggs, they look beautiful. Just gorgeous..

Blog Widget by LinkWithin