Pages

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Cookie Cravings!



I admit to being impulsive and easily swayed by many things...food being tops on the list!!! Plant an idea in my head or show me a pretty picture of food that really catches my fancy and I will obsess about it for days until I make it. Weight Watchers is grateful for that trait of mine!! It means they will probably have my business until the day I die :-) I make this little confession because I had one of those episodes on Friday. Ahrisha of the Joyously Living Life blog stopped by and commented on my Everything But the Kitchen Sink cookie post and asked if I'd like to swap cookie recipes with her..so I traipsed over to her blog to check out her cookies. I had to have them! I am a sucker for old fashioned cookies that have been around forever...so long that nobody remembers where they came from. Lepp Cakes just sounded intriguing to me and looked so soft and cute. Because I know cakey type cookies are generally less in calories I ran this recipe through the WW recipe builder and low and behold...with one minor tweak I had them at 1 pt a piece! Never mind I could eat 10 at a time........



Ahrisha iced her cookies with frosting. To lighten mine up I used a Meyer Lemon glaze instead. Still sweet without adding too many calories. I know I'm emphasizing the nutritional aspect of these cookies..and that is purely for my benefit and piece of mind, but don't let that put you off. These are very tastey, homey, soft, yummy cookies.


And by all means if you want them frosted I whole heartedly suggest buttercream!!! I just so happened to have a little bowl of some in the fridge left over from some other project. So I didn't think it would hurt to try it on a few. I have been wanting to try the little heart pan I picked up at Goodwill a while back and this recipe seemed perfect. I put 3 teaspoonfuls of batter in each little heart. They cooked up beautifully.



I'm glad I only made six though...they are a little TOO good!!


Here is my version of the recipe. I looked and looked to find out why they are called Lepp but couldn't really find anything that said why. I suppose Mrs. Lepp made really good ones!!!

Henry's Lepp Cakes

1- 1/2 c. Sugar
1/2 c. Butter
2 Eggs
1 c. Sour Cream (I used low fat with success)
1 tsp. Vanilla
2-1/2 c. Flour
1/2 tsp. EACH Salt, Baking Powder, Baking Soda

Cream sugar and butter. Beat in eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Sift in flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda and mix well. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto parchment or silicone mat lined pan and bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until top springs back when touched. Mine took 12 minutes. Cool cookies for a couple of minutes on pan then remove to cooling rack.

Glaze: 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 3-4 Tbls of lemon juice..enough to get it pretty thin. I poured a tiny amount on top of each cooled cookie and spread the glaze over the top then lightly poured on sprinkles.

Trying to compete with the goodies in the kitchen, the flowering red currant is looking sweet in my garden right now!

12 comments:

Debbie@Mountain Breaths said...

Suzy, the puffy cookies remind me of the ones that my grandma used to make for us. There were four of us children, but it was always me and my sister Diane that spent the weekend with my grandparents on a regular basis. We loved how she always baked us cookies and basically got nothing done for herself :-) I'm also interested in how they got the name Lepp. I'm thrilled for you that they are one point! I will make them with the Meyer lemon glace like you did.
That heart pan it just too cute Suzy!

Carol said...

Those look great, Suzy! Smart to only make six, you're doing great! You can have your cake and eat it, too :)

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

They not only look great but they sound wonderful too, Suzy! I would opt for the lemon glaze too just because I really don't like frosting on cookies (weird, I know). What a neat cookie exchange!

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Suzy~ ~ ~Great job~ ~ Aren't these cookies sweet, soft & cakey we just love them, in fact I'm going to make them again today, The last batch is gone. I usually use less sugar then it calls for in most of my recipes. You can cut back a bit and the recipe still works nicely. You know they can be eaten without any icing. We tried that and they are OK but decided on the icing. I like the idea of your glaze too.
I'm so glad you liked the recipe. Come on over gals and have a look at mine.~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Cynthia said...

Suzy, I thoroughly enjoyed the description of your effort to get the cookies to 1 point.

The cookies remind me of my grandmother also.

Unlike Susan, I prefer my cookies frosted ... with LOTS of icing. I could have eaten all the frosted heart--shaped ones in one setting.

The red flowering currant, does it produce currants?

A Grain of Salt said...

Oh, Suzy, I like soft, cakey cookies... and the lemon glaze or icing works for me. Either one and I'd be happy. They look very good! Another pretty flower!

cappy said...

Oh Suzy, what are you doing to us, Girl? We are trying to diet and now I see these pictures of cookies that look like my Grandma and Mom used to make for us kids. Now, I see that my ol' self ainta goina want to rest til I make a batch of these to freeze...(oh sure...I wonder how many will actually make it to the freezer). We are discouraged that you haven't received the package that we so lovingly prepared and sent to you. I guess we'll have to make another package sans the lemons and send it your way.
Big Hugs!!

Bernie said...

Suzy I am going to make these cookies on Friday, I know I shouldn't but I am going to ice mine as I love frosted cookies. I think they are the same ones my grandmother use to make but only at Christmas time, don't know why. I will know for sure when I taste them. Again Suzy thank you for sharing.....:-) Hugs

Foley said...

These look like some my Mom used to make also... she never wrote the recipe down so I am so glad you posted this! I would do both..glaze and icing!!

Love your flower..pretty color!

Marsha said...

Suzy, the cookies look so good and I really like the one baked in the heart tin.

I love lemon glaze and used lemon extract in the painted cookies coating.

I have never seen a red currant - is it a shrub? Gorgeous color.

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

I better rethink weight watchers if these types of confections are allowed! Awesome! I like my cookies, cakes, muffins, soft and fluffy... just like me, LOL! ;D

These will be going in my recipe vault and if you remember it's guarded very well!

Sweet wishes,
Sara

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog! I just passed a blogging award to you. you can receive it on my Boogieboard Cottage blog. mary :O)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin