Pages

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Spring Delight



About once a month I scope out the Tacoma Goodwill Store. They have one of the best stores of it's kind..always neat and very friendly. One day I was in there and I even saw some people from the national Goodwill there to give them an award for being such a great store..just a little plug for them. Anyways..besides dishes I always scope out the cookbook section. Interestingly, the majority of the cookbooks are diet related. I guess those are the least used!! lol

This past week I stopped in and found a little cookbook titled simply "Salads: Food Writer's Favorites". I believe it was a fundraiser done for the MADD organization. It's a collection of salad (duh) recipes from mostly newspaper food editors across the country. There are so many great recipes I want to try from this little book!! I started with a fruit salad called Marshmallow Delight and tweaked it a little..for one I left out out the marshmallows! So I'll rename it Ambrosia Delight! I also substituted strawberries for the called for cherries and added a little brown sugar and the pecans. Okay so maybe it's nothing like the original, but it was inspiration! Here is my version.




Ambrosia Delight

1 cup blueberries
1 cup diced fresh pineapples (if using canned, drain liquid)
1/2 cup sliced strawberries
3/4 cup shredded coconut
3/4 cup light sour cream
1/8 cup-1/4 cup brown sugar (to taste)
1/3 cup chopped pecans

In a mixing bowl, combine blueberries, pineapples, strawberries, coconut, sour cream, brown sugar and pecans. Stir will until brown sugar is incorporated into sour cream. Refrigerate at least an hour before serving. Sprinkle with a few more pecans as garnish in serving bowls.

Speaking of delights here is a little project my honey worked on and completed today for me. It's a corner of the garage just for me and my little spring seedlings!!! Sorry for the darkness of the photo, but look at how bright my little grow lights are! Isn't he sweet to give up a section of his manly domain?



And one more little delight...here is my baby Shih Tzu Jigsy in his annual Spring Portrait. I like to pose him before he goes for his yearly haircut. I know its time..not just because its getting harder to keep him brushed, but because today when it was so sunny and warm he went and found the coolest dampest shadiest spot in the yard to lay down!! He reminded me that he really didn't need his fur coat anymore. I need to set his appointment up this week. He's just a little guy under all that fluffiness. Wait til you see him!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Suzy,
This fruit salad (Ambrosia)looks verry nice and I'm sure taste verry good.
:) Nina

Cynthia said...

Suzy, I always enjoy hearing about your Goodwill store and your finds. You're fortunate to have such a nice store.

The ambrosia salad really looks tasty; I like marshmallows but not i salads.

Randy is a sweetie to have given up part of the garage and fixed up an area for grow lights.

It amazes me how handsome, little Jigs poses. I'm looking forward to seeing his haircut.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

What a cute post, Suzy! I love the look of your salad. I've been making fruit salads a lot more recently and I love the sound of this one. I agree, no marshmallows!

I an very envious of your plant light shelves and of your husband's generosity in sharing his space ;)

Is Jigs getting more handsome?

A Grain of Salt said...

Suzy, another terrific post. Your salad really looks good and I love the flavors. Great plant shelves! My sweetie built one for me once, only 2 tiers. I need one again! Jigs is so sweet! Cute pose... and look at all your flowers!

Foley said...

Love fruit salads and I agree also to the no marshmallows!

The plant stand is awesome - I wanted to do something like that since I has an old unused utility shelf stand wanting to be used for something. But I procrastinated and didn't do anything...maybe this next winter!

My sweet Jigs is so cute.. I need to get Bailey in also, His paws are looking like bear cub feet! And Louis also needs to be shaved but probably not until May.

Great post and photo!! (I love enlarging the photo to see all the detail in yumminess)

Suzy said...

Thanks everybody! I really enjoyed this little salad and couldn't stop eating it last night. I guess there are worse things to pig out on :-)

Barb..all you need are lights! And Jayne you need one too :-)

Thanks for the comments on Jigs. He is really just saying in this pic..Mother (I don't have the heart to tell him I'm not his real Mama) ..why are you laying on the ground?

Carol said...

The salad looks so good! I could see why you would be picking on it all night! I would, too!

Randy is a sweetheart to give up part of his space :) Great plant shelves, soon you'll be so busy gardening!

Jigs is a cutie!

Kathleen said...

The fruit salad looks good and if I recall from the days when ambrosia was popular, the marshmallows dissolve? So I would def like it!

Great you will get a head start on your seeds!
And I think your doggy is saying.."What, no Easter bonnet?"
unisex ie...:)

Cathy said...

Hi Suzy - Wow, love your fruit salad. I was looking for a recipe to serve for Easter Brunch. This is it! Love strawberries and pineapple together.

Little Jigsy is adorable. The weather today is gorgeous. Hope you are getting some of this sunshine too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin